Higher WOT rpm after fuel/water seperator

lund17

Petty Officer 1st Class
On the advice of so many i installed a fuel filter/water seperator on my boat. I have had several issues since then and am trying to figure them out. 1. Bulb will not stay hard and engine quits if idled more than 5-10 min. I checked all fittins and tightened them. I may opt for better bulb with spring loaded valve. Also, bulb is between filter and motor. Should it be on other side - before the filter? 2. Now my wot rpms reach 6000+ with the same prop that previously hit the recomended 5500. Since it is oil injected am I running lean by not getting enough fuel in to the mix? Do I understand correctly that oil rich is actually gas lean and will run higher/hotter? Could this be related to the new filter? I dont usually go to wot so I'm not sure when this started happening but it was sometime after the filter. Thanks Guys.

KCLOST

Commander
Re: Higher WOT rpm after fuel/water seperator

No,<br /><br />Lean is fuel/mix to air... A lean mix of Oil to gas will also cause hotter running damage...

dolluper

Captain

try tank. blub ,filter .motor

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Is the filter installed correctly? The ports should be marked inlet and outlet. The other thing to check is it sized correctly. Check the specs to see what the max. flow rate is. Some of the cheaper units will introduce a fairly significant pressure drop which will reduce flow of fuel thru the system.

LubeDude

Admiral

I have mine installed, Tank, filter, bulb, engine, and it works fine. Racor. Go to the hardware store and buy a peice of clear fuel line, even water line is ok, because you are only going to use it as a test. Install it between the filter and the bulb and see if there is air in there. There should not be any bubles. Air in the line here will cause your engine to run lean and thus the extra RPM.