higher hp motor on rebuilt pontoon

roscottjr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: higher hp motor on rebuilt pontoon

I am rebuilding/restoreing a 1964 Crownline. 1st thing I did before purchaseing the boat was check laws due to this boat NOT haveing a rateing plate or even a HID plate. I live in North Georgia and Im not going to get into the arguments so planely seen in this thread already by saying what I found out. I will however say that regardless of whether it is this boat or another one I will NOT overpower any boat. It is just too risky.

Robert

cuzzx

Seaman
Re: higher hp motor on rebuilt pontoon

ok, I'm in ALABAMA , yes.Use pontoon in Florida.
I just took two pontoons , took the better parts from both and built a new used pontoon that is rated for 70hp. I could not see buying a new motor to let it sit in saltwater 9 months out of the year. So I looked for months for a used 60 to 70hp, I found many 75 & 90's. I bought a 75hp and installed it. I took the Toon to get it registered, ask them about the numbers and they said that I had to go by the numbers on the Logs, making my Toon a 20ft Stardust even though all else was a Landau. They let me register my Toon and its insured by Allstate using the registeration only.

My Toon is docked about 5 slots away from a Coast Guard boat.
The day I put my Toon in some of the others came by to check it out as I have told them about my rebuild. One of the CG guys came by also, walked the whole Toon over and made comment on how good it looks and what the motor would do. As I told him just got it in the water and not got it proped out right yet.