high vs low profile

cquiett

Cadet
i have 1977 27 ft apollo with 351 and omc outdrive (800) can i replace my low profile outdrive with a high profile outdrive

kenny nunez

Captain
Actually it will bolt on however you will have to convert the shift to electric and the original shift cable hole needs to be plugged and a hole drilled in the opposite side of the intermediate housing, and of course the extra length will surely prevent the boat from planing off plus the drive will have to have the internal steering which was a 50-50 chance that it will.
There were some low profile electric shift engine combinations that used the high profile drive between 76-77. I Re powered a boat like that by having the stringers raised because the owner kept a spare drive at his camp from the original engine.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is the 1977 he original electric shift ?----Of is it an 800 model with the oil pressure shift assist gearcase?

kenny nunez

Captain
77 was the last year for the electric model and 78 was the hydro assist model. Even with the hydro assist the V8 models started jumping out of gear right away. OMC found out the hard way on that set up. While it worked for out boards they finally figured out that the V8 s smooth idling was the problem why they were not fully engaging. The engineers mounted a automotive flywheel on a 225 out board that smoothed the engine so much that it started jumping out of gear also. That is why they went to the electronic interrupter system.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Owner needs to know whether he has the electric shift or the oil pressure assisted 800 model.----The electric shift does not have through the hub exhaust.-----The 800 does use that feature.

cquiett

Cadet
Actually it will bolt on however you will have to convert the shift to electric and the original shift cable hole needs to be plugged and a hole drilled in the opposite side of the intermediate housing, and of course the extra length will surely prevent the boat from planing off plus the drive will have to have the internal steering which was a 50-50 chance that it will.
There were some low profile electric shift engine combinations that used the high profile drive between 76-77. I Re powered a boat like that by having the stringers raised because the owner kept a spare drive at his camp from the original engine.
it is electric shift and does have internal steering

cquiett

Cadet
Owner needs to know whether he has the electric shift or the oil pressure assisted 800 model.----The electric shift does not have through the hub exhaust.-----The 800 does use that feature.
it does have electric shift

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
A high profile drive will be to low in the water or am I missing something?

kenny nunez

Captain
Since you already have a electric drive what is wrong with the current one?
The bottom gear housings are identical, it is the exhaust housing that can be swapped over if that is the problem.

cquiett

Cadet
keep in mind that my boat doesn't get to plane by raising the outdrive unit, it has seperate hydrolic trim tabs, does that make a difference

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It can be confusing when folks mention that they have an electric shift 800 model.-----The lower drive on electric shift models was never referred to as an 800 model.----Yes you can bolt the high profile on.----Won't look correct , or be efficient but it will bolt on.