High Rev at idle

Ralphy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok back again!! '96 Johnson 48 SPL. After resolving my runaway problem last week (http://forums.iboats.com/bbBoard.cgi?a=viewthread;fid=28;gtid=1213161;gpid=1213161#gpid1213161) I put everything back together and cranked her up. Now I am getting around 2000 RPM at idle in neutral. I am guessing I can't cheat by reusing gaskets so ordered a new set of carb seat gaskets and air box gaskets as I am thinking it is sucking air. But looking at the troubleshooting section of my manual it could be a number of any other things. Don't think it is a lync/sync problem as I did not mess with any linkage. The throttle plates are fully closed, so the only other thing that comes to mind might be the primer solenoid. Any quick test that I can do to confirm it is working properly? Or anything else I might be missing...thanx for any input.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: High Rev at idle

If the primer solenoid was bad, the engine would be hard to start cold (no extra fuel) or if the red lever was in the wrong position, the engine would flood when started. If you push the key when its in the RUN (not START) position, and you hear it click its probably ok. If you had the carbs apart, did you remove the idle mixture screws? And when you put them back are they set the same?

Ralphy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did not take the carbs apart, just removed from intake manifold. Did not do anything to linkage or settings. Primer solenoid really seems to be working to spec.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

With the throttle plate's closed. what is the ignition timing at idle with the throttle , and lync arm all the way back at idle?

Ralphy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't have a timing light R.Johnson, but I don't understand how the timing could have changed as I did not move any of the timing links or throttle links. I took off both carbs pretty much as one unit so I could get at the upper carb and replace the screws in the throttle plate. As stated, I resused all of the gaskets so am thinking that may be where my problem lies. If you guys think I am off base, please let me know. The lync arm is all the way back and the idle screw hits the stop pad. The cam about 1/16th inch away from the follower. If I push it toward the follower RPM's will drop down to about 1200, still too high.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

borrow one. or you will never know.

Ralphy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok all is right with the world again. Got new gaskets in and when I took it apart to install them noticed that the throttle plates were not fully closed. Even tho the throttle linkage moved smoothly the upper plate was not completely centered leaving an ever so small gap but guess it was enough to raise the revs. Put it back together and it is idling nicely at 900 RPM's on the muffs. Thanks for everyones help and hope I can return the favor at some point.

alec_rose

Cadet

hey man I am having the same problem and it appears to be that my cam follower does not retract all the way. I thought it was maybe the spring for it, but i don't know. could you tell me what you did and also what a throttle plate is?

alec_rose
under idleing high