high or low?

brent suzkui wyble j16

Petty Officer 2nd Class
have been working on these boat and getting close, but i understand the cavitation plate should be relatively even with the bottom of the boat, mine is and runs good, carlina skiff says it should be 3/4 to 1" under the bottom, i have not sealed the transom yet so i can still go lower with out to much more work. do i need to and why?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: high or low?

Howdy, Brent.<br /><br />If your CS has a hook in the bottom, then a bit low is okay, but I never heard a dealer recommend running the plate below the keel.<br /><br />Most dealers will suggest 1 to 1-1/2" above, for less drag and better performance.<br /><br />Maybe I'm wrong on this. Let's hear from some experts.

D

DJ

brent,<br /><br />If your Skiff is a flat bottom, that may explain the recommendation.<br /><br />Flat bottoms tend to cavitate quicker than deep v's.

brent suzkui wyble j16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes it is flat, very flat, no hook just flat. john is that just a recommendation or ? <br />it has not had a cavitation problem as of yet, but i am installing a Tini Tack this weekend and i may haft to prop down i think. will know later.