Hi. I have problems w/ pictures...

swfl mike

Seaman Apprentice
With all the boats/motors that I buy, brake, fix, get bored with, and sell I can't believe I haven't found this site earlier.

Anyways I recently bought this:

merc15002.jpg

The guy told me it was a 1989. But he didn't seem to sure about it. Serial #0C250310. He started it up it ran fine, shifted it in and out of fwd/ntrl/rvrs, and everything was cool. I got it home went for a test run and my buddy attempted to screw with the tiller throttle and twisted it past reverse and it got stuck. I twisted it back out of being stuck and it was then stuck in gear and the handle was spinning loose.

Took the tiller arm apart and the black plastic piece in the below picture is broken. My question is: on the tiller shaft that attaches to the black plastic piece there is a rivet that apparently was attached to the plastic piece. Does that mean I have to buy an entire new tiller handle?

merc15006.jpg

One more question: I drained the gear lube on it and it was the color of banana pudding. I've had several motors with leaky lower units and it never was this color. I put it in the jub in the picture below to see if it would seperate and it hasn't yet. Is this maybe the color of some fansy special gear lube? Maybe it's just really really bad? I'm trying to be optimistic but it looks like crap to me...

merc15005.jpg

Thanks for your responses

Knightgang

Lieutenant
Re: Hi. I have problems w/ pictures...

Not sure about the tiller handle. But yeah, that LU oil is terrible. I would be looking for a leaky seal somewhere...

swfl mike

Seaman Apprentice

I have some lighter oil layin around the garage. You think I should flush the LU out with something else to get all the banana puddin out before I fill it with gear oil?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't flush the foot with light oil, Mike. I think I would use kero or some other solvent. That stuff you have there looks like it has had a loooooong time to emulsify.

I also suggest that you resize your pix so that they don't require panning the screen to see. A lot of folks who might have priceless info for you may skip the thread because of this nuisance.

swfl mike

Seaman Apprentice

The previous owner told me that it more or less sat unused since 92 and I don't think he was BSing me. I would imagine your right about it sitting for so long being the reason it became so thick. Sorry about the pic size I don't have any idea how to resize them. I just uploaded to photobucket and pasted the URL over. That's as far as my skills can take me.

As for the tiller I'm gonna head over to the merc dealer right now and see what they have to say. Figured I'd inquire about it on a forum and see if anyone had similar problems before taking it to the parts department. I'll post any info I get on it for anyone who has similiar issues; I searched this forum for a while and couldn't find much related to this issue