Hi everyone!

bowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi! newbie here...just wanted to introduce myself and my new toy...
My name is Juan and I just got this '82 16' Cobia Charger, it has a 1978 115hp Evinrude, I got it from a friend that needed to sell due to the birth of his 2nd son. Anyhow, it's the first boat I OWN, eventhough I've been around water and boats all my life, I never owned one. I paid $1125.00 which I think is a fair price. The boat/motor isn't perfect, and I'm planning to do some work before throw it in the water.
Here's where ya'lls expert advice comes to the rescue....if anyone has some specific things I got to check/do etc, please feel free to let me know....last time this boat was in the water eas in summer 2005....I basically will use it for cruising, and I want to teach my sons to ski, and maybe some fishing....
Thanks for your time, I know i'll be around......here some pics....
Juan

37b6_1.jpg

bd2e_1.jpg

5563_1.jpg

7110_1.jpg

4222_1.jpg

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Hi everyone!

[colour=blue]Hi Juan, welcome to iboats!! Nice boat.

Whatever specific questions you may have, there is someone here to answer them.

Think safety first and you and your family will have a great time, enjoy!

8)

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Welcome to iboats!!! The first thing I would recommend doing is a compression check on the motor to establish a baseline as to how it runs.Charlie

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Even if the engine needs some work, the hull and trailer seem to be in good condition. I think you got a good deal.

Good boat to teach the kids to waterski but as they get older, I think you'll find it getting a little small. --Couple of skis, a tube, a cooler, picinic basket (Yogi Bear for those of you old enough) Next thing you know, the boat is filled to overflowing.

Last photo, looks like she is setting low in the water. Hope that's not full throttle.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Oh yeah, definitely put some end caps on those bow rails so somone doesn't get scratched or cut.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, welcome bowrider!! Agree with Frank. Boats are one big oweeee waiting to happen!! Minimize sharp stuff with kids around. Definitely not as soft as a modern car . . .

Also, you'll need some type of pylon or a bridle to pull skiers. You want to pull from the center of the boat. There is a thread around here (look down) about a tripod pylon. That night be a good addition if you're serious about skiers. Also, poke around about trim tabs (SmartTabs etc. ). I have a feeling that the way she is squatting, even with the weight shifted to the bow, that you're gonna need some for skiing . . .

You should read as many threads here as you can. Oh, and get an anchor. Amazing how many new boaters don't have them and they are your ultimate safety device if you lose power ;)

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Welcome to iboats Juan! Looks like you got a nice deal, good looking boat.
As was suggested, get a compression check on the motor and replace the lower unit oil and the impeller. Get new fuel as well.
The guys here are a great help, I would never have got on the water last year if it wasn't for them.
Just be sure to post your questions in the correct forums.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Nice looking boat and it appears to be in fairly good shape. It appears the engine suffered some lower unit damage at some point in its life as the lower unit is a different color than the rest of the engine. Not a problem though. Probably wouldn't hurt to do a decarb on the engine as well. I would also change the water pump impeller and thermostat to avoid any possibility of overheat damage.

bowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

crazy said:
Welcome to iboats!!! The first thing I would recommend doing is a compression check on the motor to establish a baseline as to how it runs.Charlie

Thanks Crazy Charlie,
Carl my friend said all cyl had 115 -120 lbs, Heres part of the description he had when he listed on ebay:

"""1982 Cobia Charger 16ft. This boat has been in my family since 1993. First belonging to my Uncle in Florida. My Father purchased the boat in 1997. Then I purchased the boat in 98. The boat ran great the last time I took it out summer 05. The motor is a little cold nature though. Inital start up since my uncle had it requires a shot of WD-40. After that she runs like a champ. I really hate to part with the boat, but the recent birth of my son requires me to rid myself of toys. Anyway... back to the boat. The motor is a 77-78? model evinrude 115. The water pump was replaced in 04. Along with a new stainless prop. We also ran a compression check and all cylinders were 115-120. It is a manual tilt&trim, that works better than an electric I have ever been in. The transom was redone in 95 and is very strong. A friend and I replaced the floor in 05 and redone the interior. The vinyle on the front is starting to split again. New swivel seats, and we always used the 12x12 floatation cushion for the rear. The small holes you see in the pictures, is where the factory upolstery was. I have brand new bilage pumps to go with it (never installed). The trailer is a 95 murray galvinized with new tires and rims. The carbs will probably need to be cleaned before use""

bowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Frank said:
Last photo, looks like she is setting low in the water. Hope that's not full throttle.

I hope so too!
Yeah! I know it's gonna feel small soon, let's see what happens next.....:)

bowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thaks everyone for your replies....this seems like a good place to hang out....(another forum to keep up with...) ok, so the end caps are on my list, can they be just regular rubber caps or is something that i have to look in a boat shop?
Lower unit oil also ion my list, however if the water pump was recently changed I guess the impeller was changed too? A new t-stat, anchor, on my list, and a tune up.....

CQ, i'll check about the tripods, In my waterski years I always pulled/was pulled from one of the sides....
Now off to reading how to change that oil....!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Any rubber end cap will do.

The "wd-40" comment is an indicator of something not quite right.

First off, wd-40 used to have propane in it, so people did use it as a starting fluid. It does not contain propane any more, so that won't work.

Regular starting fluid is also a no-no for a 2 cycle outboard. It will remove the oil coating in the motor and will eventually cause damage.

If the motor truly need a "shot" of something to get it started, either the choke is not working properly, or the carbs need some work.

Removal, dis-assembly, cleaning, adjusting, etc. Best to get a rebuild kit and get it done.

Don't forget to mix the oil in the gas and........ don't forget the plug in the boat. :)

bowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cool...yeah, I've read about that "cold nature"motors...When you talk about the rebuid kit, are you talking about rebuilding the whole thing?
I've also hear about there's no choke anymore on these motors but an electric (tronic)? solenoid, is that an easy fix? I work on my cars and planning to work on the boat to so I should start to look for tha repair manual on this engine....How wolud I know if it is a 77 or 78?

bowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ohh BTW what mix and plug are you talking about??
Nahh..just kidding...

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Rebuild the carburetors, not the whole engine.

The need to be clean and properly adjusted.
When they sit unused, they get gummed up from the residue left behind when the fuel evaporates.

There is a choke, it is activated with a solenoid.

First thing to do if you are going to work on that motor, is to buy a repair manual.
With manual in hand, you will be able to do what needs to be done.

The plug that keeps the air in the boat ! :)

1761oops01.jpg

And don't forget to put the truck in park and set the parking brake when you launch the boat.

117182.jpg

bowrider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks! looking for a manual right now....!
Nice pics! lol

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

If the impeller was replaced in 04, I'd replace it. Better safe than sorry :$

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Welcome bowrider,
You will find that Iboats is the only forum you will need.
There are a lot of very smart and helpful people on here.
Check ebay for your manuals.
The Seloc and Clymers brand manuals aren't worth a darn.8)

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

Looks like a great boat, and with a reasonably new transom and floor it should last for a while. Congratulations.

I noticed in your 4th picture that you don't have transom tie downs to secure the boat to the trailer. You don't want to trailer the boat with out having the proper tie downs.

Boat-Truck2.jpg

Boat-Truck1.jpg