Hey Newbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hey @achris..... my 1988 boat with a changed motor and changed drive is having a problem.......

to the newbies. your boat may or may not have the original engine. and if the engine was original to the boat, many times its a year or two older than the boat because it sat in the warehouse for a while before going to the line to get dropped into a hull.

we dont care about the boat if you are asking a specific engine related question. please post the year, model, displacement, etc. of the motor/drive. and hopefully the serial number.

the stickies have location of the serial numbers.

briangcc

Commander
You know they're looking through their pile of Post-It notes looking to figure out how to get that info right? Cause that's a sticky...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
To all the newbies:
Some of us are old school and have been wrenching on our stuff since the days of points distributors, Quadrajets Holleys and Carters. The first thing most of us did unless a family member or close friend worked in a shop was BUY A FACTORY SHOP MANUAL. And then READ IT.
That will eliminate most of the silly questions. It seems like the google generation insists on seeking spoon fed information though. I started with John Muir’s VW book in 1972 and have a shop manual for every car I owned since then. My latest (2007 Jeep) is all digital 7,800 pages.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
What's worse than any noob scavenging info as easy as they can are the so called experienced guys who've the been there done that types who give out really bad information. Normally that info is a short cut with bad materials.

For instance, a question about motorwell transom drain tubes. I gave a link to the exact ones needed and Dale's DIY flaring tool. The next guy who thinks he's really smart said get some copper pipe and peen it over. The noob fawned all over that completely wrong fool hardy answer and ignored my advice.
So much for wasting the time to give correct info.

briangcc

Commander

"I know its old but I'm gonna post anyways."

🤦

You think someone has been fighting this for 8 yrs now? Special...certain kind of special.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
To all the newbies:
Some of us are old school and have been wrenching on our stuff since the days of points distributors, Quadrajets Holleys and Carters. The first thing most of us did unless a family member or close friend worked in a shop was BUY A FACTORY SHOP MANUAL. And then READ IT.
That will eliminate most of the silly questions. It seems like the google generation insists on seeking spoon fed information though. I started with John Muir’s VW book in 1972 and have a shop manual for every car I owned since then. My latest (2007 Jeep) is all digital 7,800 pages.
I was horrified when we bought my wifes '17 VW to discover that there are no longer Bentley manuals...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I was horrified when we bought my wifes '17 VW to discover that there are no longer Bentley manuals...
they went away in 2013. I have a few sites tagged that have bits of the manual.

aspeck

Staff member
This thread and it’s attack on newbies is now closed. While we understand the frustration that sometimes occurs trying to help someone, the way to correct it is not to bash them and keep them from joining or asking questions. This thread has run its course and is not in the spirit of iboats. Thank-you to all newbies who ask questions, and an even bigger thank-you to all with experience that share those experiences with newbies. Together we make the boating community stronger!

Status
Not open for further replies.