Hey all - J.B., ODDD1, DHadley...

Jersey13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys. I'm back after a long break. How's things? Still giving out your expertise for free or have you all figured a way to to somehow tranfer beers through the line? :) Check this out.... I haven't run my boat for over a month now ('86 Wellcraft, 170/470) so i got a minute to see if she'll fire up. Charged the battery, started to crank slowly, watched the fuel filter fill then the battery died, or so i thought. Put a fresh battery in, and "click, click"...no cranking. Sooo, yanked the Delco Remy starter to diagnose. Found one of the field brush springs broke in half, which would cause it not to crank. Here's my question...have these starters come in any car or truck that i can go to a salvage yard and just get the springs? Also, the soloniod plastic housing cracked when i tried unbolting the battery cables off of it (just my luck) so i'll need one of those, or the whole solenoid if it doesn't seperate. Any ideas? I'd rather not spend the $$$ to buy a whole new starter if i can find the parts and i can hit a local junk yard on the way home. Thanks for all your help. You guys save guys like me a ton of money with all your knowledge.<br /><br />- Jersey :p

fone_man

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Hey all - J.B., ODDD1, DHadley...

jersey13:<br /><br />You should be able to pick up solenoid / starter switch at local parts house plus new brushes with no problem. When there have them open old starter in core barrel & retrieve springs that you need to complete the repair. Or pick up new set when at parts house.<br /><br /> :cool:

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey, Jersey..welcome back...still workin on tha beer thing LOL as far as helpin, well we decided to lie half the time an tell the truth the other half...just cant remember which time this is...LOL...seriously, is a special starter, has what they call a IH nose...[international harvester]...otherwise is a delco motor..the brush spring is a 2 buck item, any starter/alternator rebuild house will stock it...same for the solenoid, but try to get one out of a DELCO box..the foreign stuff is such junk....I used to rebuild my own starters for resale, I could not get anybody to make a quality MARINE reman in this area....but, got too busy off season, now I gotta sell new ones...<br />How you ever gonna keep that boat happy if you never use it???? really hate to see you ownin a garage queen....<br />cough,cough...am kinda thirsty....LOL....

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ahoy, Jersey. Welcome home.<br /><br />Good luck with the starter. I'll have a cool one to your success.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

Beernutz

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hope ya don't mind my jumpin' here.<br /><br />Make sure ya seal everything up good. You know, sparks and fumes and all.<br /><br />I'll take a Bud Light!

Jersey13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks eveyone. appreciate all the advice. I'll let you know how i make out. And nooooo, she's not a garage queen ODDD1!!! :) Just real busy lately, well...i'm sure you all know how it goes. Glad to hear you're all still kickin' it. I guess this site has a few more members, huh? they didn't have the "member #" under our usernames when i was on this board last. Guess i'm grandfathered in!!! see ya'll. Talk soon.<br /><br />- Jersey<br /><br />PS - It is absolutely sickening to drive to work these last two days. NYC is about 20 minutes away and i have a clear view of the skyline each morning. Well, not anymore. just a big cloud of smoke of where the TT used to stand. I hope we find who is responsible and teach the whole world a lesson about America. *** bless all the families.