Heres a good newbie winterization tip...

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Heres a good newbie winterization tip...

Originally posted by Bondo:<br />
Originally posted by LakeLivin:<br /> do i sense an 'antifreeze beneficial' / 'antifreeze overkill' debate about to emerge?
Ayuh,.........<br /><br />Just to throw alittle Gasoline on this fire,...<br />Before it gets Too drawn out,.......<br /><br />Air Doesn't Freeze,......<br /><br />And,.........<br />In the 35+ years I've been wrenching,........<br />I've Never come across a Rusted Out Block,........Never,...... Ever..........<br /><br />My boat gets Winterized about 8 or 10 times between October,+ January.......... ;)
What about the exhaust manifolds & risers? Thats where I'd like to know if antifreeze helps prevent corrosion...(boat only sees freshwater; if in salt, lets assume boat is completely flushed with water so NO salt remains).

Bondo

Staff member

if in salt, lets assume boat is completely flushed with water so NO salt remains
For starters,...... That is Impossible,......<br />No amount of Flushing is going to remove All of the Salt,.... It leaches into the pores of the Iron............<br /><br />Up here on the Sweetwater,..... I see Manifolds,+ Risers that are over 30 Years old,+ Still in Good Condition...........<br /><br />If somebody Really Thinks that the antifreeze is Necessary,........ Go For It...... <br /><br />I'm not trying to change Anybodies mind,.....<br />Just relaying the things I've found to be True in 35 Years of turning Wrenches.............

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Bondo,<br /><br />I'm freshwater only, just threw that in about flushing saltwater to try to include more readers. Interesting to know about the leaching, though.<br /><br />Just to be clear, is this a reasonable summary of your opinion:<br /><br />"As long as boat is properly drained, antifreeze won't do much to reduce corrosion in the block or exhaust manifolds, but if it makes you feel better, go for it."?

Bondo

Staff member

"As long as boat is Properly drained, antifreeze won't do much to reduce corrosion in the block or exhaust manifolds, but if it makes you feel better, go for it."?
Ayuh,.........<br />I'd say that's a reasonably accurate english translation of what I'm saying............. ;)