Heres a good newbie winterization tip...

JStutz

Seaman Apprentice
This is my second season winterizing my 3.0L mercruiser engine and probably my second season making the same dumb mistake! When you remove the drain plug from the engine block make sure to have some type of "deflector" for the HOT stream of water that is going to shoot out. A small flat piece of plastic works well to direct the water to the bilge and not on the boat floor. You will be surprised how much HOT water is in there. I am a little obsessive about keeping the inside of my boat dry and managed to soak the rear port side in a heartbeat. <br /><br />Jeff

whywhyzed

Banned
Re: Heres a good newbie winterization tip...

also, poke something up in the exhaust drain hole to make sure chips of rust don't block the hole

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

better is after draining use the muffs and a section of hose and refill the system with a mixture of non-toxic antifreeze. ban frost 2000 works well and will help keep things from rusting/corroding inside.<br /> I usually run a five gallon mix while final fogging on the engine.

JStutz

Seaman Apprentice

Easier yet is to pull the hoses and pour the antifreeze in. After putting the plugs back in of coarse!<br /><br />Jeff

4poco

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok.... now im confused, should you just drain water and run anti freeze though engine and leave it full or drain the anti freeze back out and leave drains open? recomend? :confused:

Phantom17

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've heard just drain and leave open, and I've heard fill with anti freeze and keep closed. I'd like to hear this one too. We get around 0 degrees a few days, mostly 10's and 20's for the winter.

JStutz

Seaman Apprentice

Either way is probably OK. The idea behind the antifreeze is to stop corrosion (rust). Most RV type antifreeze also includes a corrosion inhibitor. I think the biggest concern is just getting the water out to save the block. Antifreeze is more just for piece of mind.<br /><br />Jeff

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

do i sense an 'antifreeze beneficial' / 'antifreeze overkill' debate about to emerge?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Either way....But the anti-freeze will help prevent corrosion.....For the couple bucks and your time, you will prolong your engine's life.....JK

4poco

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No Debate, just wondering what was best.<br />I poured anti-freeze in mine then drained out and left drains open, so I took the advise of both sides i guess......

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Easier to just move to Florida..these debates are worse than oil :D

KaGee

Admiral

Do I need to put antifreeze back into the cooling system after draining? <br /><br /><br />It is not essential to fill the cooling system with antifreeze if you are absolutely sure that no water remains in the system. However, for added assurance we recommend that this be done. Damage caused by freezing or improper winterization is not covered by the limited factory warranty.
Notice the "not essential". <br /><br />BTW JSTUTZ:<br /><br />A 5 quart ice cream pail works very well for catching the water.

Bondo

Staff member

Originally posted by LakeLivin:<br /> do i sense an 'antifreeze beneficial' / 'antifreeze overkill' debate about to emerge?
Ayuh,.........<br /><br />Just to throw alittle Gasoline on this fire,...<br />Before it gets Too drawn out,.......<br /><br />If you're SURE you know how to drain ALL the water out of your motor,..........<br /><br />Air Doesn't Freeze,......<br /><br />And,.........<br />In the 35+ years I've been wrenching,........<br />I've Never come across a Rusted Out Block,........Never,...... Ever..........<br /><br />My boat gets Winterized about 8 or 10 times between October,+ January.......... ;)

Sooner44

Seaman

I heard here on the forum, that you can sit a 5 gal bucket of premixed 50-50 antifreeze on the swim platform, with hose connected to bucket and a set of muff's. Start the engin and run throughout the cooling system. Does this sound ok ?<br />Is gravity from 2 ft above enough to feed raw water pump ?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Although i would have the hose feeding the muffs connected at the bottom of the bucket through a suitable fitting.....You want to make sure that your impeller has water/coolant available immediately upon start-up, or you will probably damage your impeller....JK

Sooner44

Seaman

Thanks, this seems like the quickest way to winterize the cooling system.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

except for the fact that if the thermostst dosent open by the time you fog it, you have only water in the block not A/F.Safest way is to fog, drain,reinstall drain plugs, and pour it in through the hoses.

Sooner44

Seaman

I will need to operate the engine for 5 minutes to get the treated gas (Sta-bil) into the carb.<br />I was going to get one of those "Y" water hose fittings with the little valves, and run the engine for 5 minutes. After reaching operating temp, I'll cut off city water and valve on the bucket of antifreeze, running it until most antifreeze is gone from the bucket. At this time I should have a good mix in the coolant system. I'll probably drain the block and manifold afterwards just incase. The Merc I have doesnt' have all the hoses the Volvo does, power steering cooler, raw water pump, crossover lines ect... Jeeeze this Volvo set up is crazy.