Here you were worried about Clear Channel rock stations going Spanish. ********U

f_inscreenname

Commander
Here is one I grew up on. The first station in the area to go progressive and get out of the top 40 play list. Even the other rock stations in the area are mentioning the change on there morning shows and most seem sad to see them go. Today I will be resetting my presets on all my stereos. That will be the second time in a year. The Clear Channel classic rock station in this area went “smooth jazz” about 9 months ago. Here, check out the story. If you ever lived in this area you will know the station. :( :( :( <br /> WASHINGTON -- The radio station WHFS changed its format to Spanish language dance music Wednesday after more than 35 years of playing rock and alternative music in the Washington region. <br />At noon WHFS became "El Zol" 99.1, playing Caribbean and Central American dance music geared toward people between the ages of 25 and 54, according to a statement from the station's owner, Infinity Broadcasting. The station made the switch to reach a growing market in the Washington area that Infinity said is underserved. <br />"There exists a tremendous opportunity for Infinity to launch a Spanish language format in Washington, D.C., where almost 10 percent of the population is not being directly served," said Infinity President Joel Hollander in a statement. <br /><br /><br />Infinity spokeswoman Karen Mateo, said some former WHFS employees will be offered jobs within the company's national network of 183 radio stations. She said some have been fired, but would not say how many. <br />Reached at home, John "Cakes" Auville of the WHFS morning show "Junkies" said he and other WHFS employees had been instructed not to comment on the format change. A woman who answered the phone at the station referred all calls to Infinity's New York headquarters. <br />WHFS, which stood for "Hi Fidelity Stereo" started out on the dial at 102.3 in 1961 playing classical music and jazz. But by the late 1960s and early 1970s, WHFS had shifted to a free form style where DJs were given wide choice on what they played. The station featured well known rock bands but also lesser known musicians whose tracks were not played on big radio stations. <br />Bruce Springsteen came to the station when he was playing in clubs and Steve Miller stopped by when he couldn't get his songs on other radio stations, according to Damian Einstein, who started working as a DJ at WHFS in 1971 and stayed there for nearly 25 years. <br />"Certain artists weren't being played anywhere, so they went to WHFS," said Einstein, now at WRNR in Annapolis. "We did a lot of different stuff no one else did." <br />In 1983, WHFS moved from Bethesda to Annapolis and shifted to the 91.1 frequency. After several changes in ownership, it was bought by Infinity in 1996, eventually settling in Lanham. It reached listeners in the Washington area, Baltimore and Annapolis. <br />The station sponsored an annual concert at RFK Stadium known as the WHFstival. Mateo said the Infinity "realizes the importance of the event in the community" and will "look to continue the event" if possible. <br />Ratings, however, have slipped. WHFS had lower ratings than Infinity's other three FM stations in the area, making it a target for a format change. <br />"Of the stations we own in that market, that is the one that made the most sense to make the change," Mateo said. <br />The switch also demonstrates the growing power of the Hispanic market in the Washington area. Immigrants primarily from Central American countries have built large communities in areas such as Silver Spring and Wheaton in Maryland, and sections of Northern Virginia and Washington. <br />Infinity estimated the area's Hispanic population grew 25 percent in the past four years to reach 400,000 people. The company signed a deal in October with Spanish Broadcasting System that gave Infinity inroads into Spanish language radio. <br />"El Zol" will be Infinity's first Spanish language station in a top 10 market, according to the company.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: Here you were worried about Clear Channel rock stations going Spanish. *****

Re: Here you were worried about Clear Channel rock stations going Spanish. *****

Yep, sign of the times. 101 KLOL here in Houston did the same thing a few months ago.<br /><br />Ken

NYMINUTE

Captain

Why can't I get English sub-titles on the Mexican network that Comcast so generously provides as part of their swell package?

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by NYMINUTE:<br /> Why can't I get English sub-titles on the Mexican network that Comcast so generously provides as part of their swell package?
You don't need sub-titles for those shows NYM, those bodies speak the international language :eek:

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

That would be nice. I would watch the Mexican TV cahnnels all the time if they had english subtitles.<br /><br />La senoritas es muy bonito!<br /><br />Ken

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I'm not too happy about loosing any english speaking stations to spanish. But the bottom line is the bottom line. What bugs me is the amount of people that won't learn english has reached the point, to make such a change-of-format a monetarily-viable one!<br />That alone should scare the hell out of every legal American citizen!

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

The last time I had AM on scan I had to check the GPS to see if I left the country. We have at least dozen Spanish stations here. It's total BS!

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

What bugs me is the amount of people that won't learn english has reached the point, to make such a change-of-format a monetarily-viable one!<br />That alone should scare the hell out of every legal American citizen!
Yup... :mad: But you know what scares me more is wet foot-dry foot and other BS like that particular "policy"... The welcome mat is out, and the washington boys don't have the guts to bring the mat in for fear that a change in "policy" might **** off their constituants :eek: , and we can't have that... It would'nt be PC.. :mad: <br /><br />I, for one, am glad radio stations are changing to spanish formats... Maybe that'll help Mr. "middle america white guy" to wake up...<br /><br />Thinking about changing my stance on the firearms issue too, especially if (and thats a BIG IF) I stay in south Florida... I might just need an arsenal to defend my state and my country...<br /><br />sincerely:<br />snapper, in little havana.. :mad:

f_inscreenname

Commander

Hey Snap I agree with you but I wish they wouldn't have made the point with my radio station.

f_inscreenname

Commander

There is hope for us after all. Due to the over whelming response of WHFS fans (more then 30,000 e-mails and letters to Infinity Broadcasting) they have decided to bring back the station, split up a little bit but in some ways for the better. They moved the morning show to WJFK a DC talk station. Where they should have been anyway being they were a sports talk show. As for the rest of the station will be moving to Live 105.7 (another talk station in Baltimore) but the format goes like this. From 6 am till 7 pm Monday through Friday will be talk shows (“Howard” then “Out to lunch” and then “Don and Mike“) from 7pm on it will be HFS on Live 105.7. That's all night and weekends. When 105.7 started they used to just play music (good R & R) when they didn't have a talk show for the time slot. Over time they filled most of the slots with local shows and really bad syndicated shows. Now they are all gone except for the three and the rumor mill is thinking that “Out to lunch” got picked up by a Washington state station and will be moving and everyone by now who cares knows what Howard will be doing at the end of the year (not me, I didn't like him when he was on DC 101, It was funny when he told a guy on air to F-off. His last show). One last move that is supposed to happen in the next month is Don and Mike will be moving to the morning. I figure within a year HSF will be back full time with a syndicated morning show. The best thing is 105.7 never played commercials when they played music. For that matter you never herd a DJ till the HFS thing started. They aren't playing any now. If they keep this up they will kill other stations in the area that have needed a good slap in the face for a long time. Getting a little tired of the same ten songs even if they do rock. Good competition will straighten them up. Also they are back to there cool (not commercial) music format. The format that made them a legend in the first place (like a awesome collage station). This may just work out for all of us (around here). We get our station back with a better signal and Infinity Broadcasting gets to fill what was basically deed air with what people want. I am sure it wasn't Infinity Broadcasting intention to do it like this but the outcry was to loud for them to ignore. There is one draw back and it is very sad. There is a collage “public radio station” WTMD in the same area as Live 105.7 that only lives on public donations (no commercials). They brought back the old HFS format a couple years ago but they have a week signal and 105 covers there whole broadcast area. I hope they survive just to keep the new HFS in line. I know on there next pledge drive (beg-a-thon) I will have to send them a couple bucks. Anything to keep the lesser known and most times much better music alive. One benifit living between two big cities is now I can get 2 commercial rock stations, 2 smaller progressive rock stations, 2 classic rock stations and the new 105.7, who need satellite? Well that is at home. I lose some of the stations going up and down Rt95. 105.7 is strong enough to get it most places I go. Yaa---- F_in--- Hoooooooo :D :D