herbs vs drugs

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: herbs vs drugs

Saw a news report a few months back that said they had done a study on noni juice, St John's Wart, and I don't remember all, there were several other products. The conclusion was that there wasn't any definate proof that any of them did one bit of good. On the other hand, my father started taking one of those things, he's 78, and it messed up his blood suger, he went into some kind of insulin overdose or something. The dr. told him to quit taking anything that he, the dr., hadn't approved. The medical profession calls being a doc practicing medicine. I guess that means they haven't figured it all out yet and that doctors can make mistakes. I believe herbs are generally good for you, but I'm reluctant to take them as medicine. If I get sick, I call the doc. Just my 2cents. <br /><br />Hey spud, it looks like theriver isn't going to tell you. Mark

crab bait

Captain

if you never want a cold ever again..??<br /><br />get on stay on tri-zinc.. i'll give john henry on it..

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

jtex- how long ago was your experience with the continuing education thing? I know they've tightened regs over withing the recent past, not sure exactly when or what the new details are.<br /><br /><br /> My newest discovery re limiting effect of colds:<br /> <br />Used to get a cold once a year, every year. Would start as basic head/nasal cold, then become sore throat/ cough that would last for at least a week or two. <br /><br />For the past 3 years at first sign of cold I gargle hot salt water as many times a day as is convenient (at least 4 or 5 at beginning). Haven't gotten the sore throat/ cough part since I started gargleing, and the cold only lasts a couple of days.<br /><br />Someone makes a device that you use to inhale salt water through one side of your nose and it comes out the other side, thereby irrigating your entire nasal passage. Heard it works well, but sounds/ looks pretty disgusting to me. I'll live with the nasal cold for 2 or 3 days. Now if I had something REALLY BIG coming up (like a wedding or major trip), I might be tempted to give it a try based on the success of gargling keeping me from getting a sore throat, but otherwise I'll pass.

ZmOz

Captain

Alot of the herbal crap people swear by is nothing but a placebo to them...but I guess if that's all it takes, then why not? There are plenty of herbs that do have strong effects though, pot being a good example. ;)

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

gonefishie, I will disagree with you.I hear that all of the time. The answer is simple. In the last 5 years that I can remember I have seen about 7 wrecks where the driver was high on pot. In 5 of them I can say that definately being high was if not the cause, a major contributing factor. Out of those, 3 were fatal to at least 1 of the occupants.<br /><br />It won't depress your system like alcohol, but it does hamper your driving ability. If nothing more your judgement is impaired. Simple things like reaction time, depth perception, and fine motor skills. It won't generaly effect your gross motor skills as much as alcohol, but it does effect them. The reason people like to say they can drive high better than drunk is because a person notices the gross motor skills more than the fine motor skills. <br /><br />Reaction time is important not only to stop on time, but also to get yourself back on your side of the road if you drift across the line. Depth perception is important because it helps judge reaction time and distance, curves and turns, and speed. <br /><br />Of course there is the problem of all those cheetos getting that orange stuff on your steering wheel!<br /><br />A side note to finalize the hijacking of this thread ;) alcohol is a little worse than pot while driving but not much. Last friday (on my night off) I spent 2 hours in the back seat of a car trying to keep a bleeding half dead woman from becoming all dead while using my body to sheild her from the broken glass and stuff while they were cutting her daughter and her drunk stoned (pot) son in law from the front seat. So far all are still alive, but only by luck. She will wish she were dead for a long time to come though. Hit head on with a 3/4 ton truck pulling trailer with 2 horses. Killed 1 horse. All in the pickup were fine including the pregnant driver. <br /><br />Now to spend the next 6 months wondering if all the blood and vomit I got covered in will kill me or not, unless she voluntarily tests herself then it will only be a few weeks of worry. All in a days work taking care of the stoners and drunks of this world!<br /><br />Sorry bout the hijacking.