hemi's, media blitz or that good

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class
Realizing that this may create some passion, also giving the notion that the hemi is a very good power plant, and been used for nearly fifty years.<br /><br />I don't like mopar, in my younger days, I worked in several shops and my employers (mechanics) cursed every time a Ford or Dodge came in, the impact has stayed with me over the years.<br /><br />I believe that Dodge, ect is brilliant in putting hemi's in cars and trucks today, one because their great motors, but the media blitz is amazing. I believe that the majority of truck owners have no idea what hemi refers to, just that it is cool.<br /><br />I drive chevy trucks, and have for years, not that Chev is the UTOPIA of trucks, but that they are what I learned to work on. I love my 2500, and other than the Duramax or other Diesel engines, I am thinking that my Chev is every bit as good as the Dodge with a hemi. I think it falls to HP and torque, and associated reliability and re-sale<br /><br />I also have associated my own steortype personalities with those who drive ford trucks(drugstore cowboys)and dodge (want-a-be truckers)<br />and chevy people are of course normal.<br /><br />I would buy Ford over Dodge, and I hate Ford ((Fords) only run down hill) plus have you looked at the engine compartment of the new ford truck, its under the cab, also maybe because of my feelings about drugstore cowboys.<br /><br />My little Bro has a Durango (not equip with hemi), and it won't pull his boat (22' cobalt), he is going to buy a Chevy truck to pull it.<br /><br />One side note, I also think that Toyota and Nissan are dang good outfits, and probably give them a good look next time I buy.<br /><br />I expect many of you will tell me I'm crazy but that how I feel.<br />Spud

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer
Re: hemi's, media blitz or that good

my 2002 silvarado is just okay, never had any real problems. very uncomfortable ride on the freeway, (bouncy...very), and its only a half ton. I loved my 1996 F-250 w/6.9 diesel. I'd like to have it back, it rode better. <br />The chevy is built very heavy duty, not in 2002. just compare the front sunspension w/ an older model.<br />I am looking at Toyota's right now...but 30k???<br />The new vehicles have systems that apply the brakes, on occasion as well as de-throttle, when the computer says it's needed, (wheel spin/slippage)...not for me, maybe a kid or someone who isn't aware...(carolyn)....sl

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hey Spud, I ain't partial to any.<br />Just take a look at my house and you will see why.<br />I have 8 Astros, 2 Dodge trucks, a Ford Diesel, a Chevy Diesel, full size chevy van, 2 jeeps, a chevy powered motorhome, a '64 ElCamino, and 3 Subarus.<br /><br />I like em all.<br />I think the new hemi is cool with it's 2 plugs per cylinder and a coil for each cylinder.<br />And that sound, nothing like it.<br />And the price, I could not pass it up.

D

DJ

Nothing agqainst any of them although I do have my preferences.<br /><br />The word "Hemi" simply refers to the shape of the combustion chamber/head. It is now a marketing tool for DCX.<br /><br />Actually, Ford was the first to put a hemispherical head on a mass produced engine.<br /><br />All Ford engines (except 4.2L V-6) are also Hemi's in that they have hemispherical heads. They have been since the early nineties. <br /><br />I believe the Japanese trucks are also hemispherical head designs. Just larger versions of the hemi head engines they have been building.<br /><br />GM's (V-8's) are not.<br /><br />As for DCX touting the Hemi, it's a real marketing coup.

JB

I agree that "Hemi" is marketing hype.<br /><br />Good engines, but not great engines.

SpinnerBait_Nut

It's what your happy with, IMO. Be it Chevy, Dodge, Ford, MB, Toyota, etc.<br /><br />Me, I'm just happy to wake up each morning. :)

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

whats a "drug store cowboy" ?

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

oh yea, some folks put two plugs per cyl for emission, performance ('cause they can't light the charge any other way), or plug fouling issues. <br /><br />can't tell you how I know because I would be shot.

Twidget

Commander

My little Bro has a Durango (not equip with hemi), and it won't pull his boat (22' cobalt)
Im not sure the Durango is made to pull a 22' boat. Thats a pretty heavy load for a mid size SUV. Im may be wrong(probably am) :) <br /><br />I have a Ram 1500 Quad cab, non hemi. Its a really good truck. First full sized Dodge Ive ever owned, I grew up on Chevy.

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

drugstore cowboy:<br /><br />here in Utah, each community has a different personality, in the more populated areas, people dress, talk and act fairly normal even considering the dominant religious belifs (mormon), but I can drive 15 minutes and enter into another world, western bars, line dancing, country music, men wear tight wrangler jeans with cowboy boots, belts with massive belt buckles and their name imprinted on the back, wild striped shirts with bright colors, speak with a heavy drawl, ('bout like the people in Texas), and drive ford trucks, oh ya and they have cowboys hats. Don't even know why they do it other than they like it, which is great, but we call them drug store cowboys. I know, a few families have horses, but not many.<br /><br />I grew up in a farming area, in Idaho, people had horses, cows, pigs..... but no cowboy crap.<br /><br />Oh ya I already knew about the cylinder heads being hemispherical. I had an old honda accord, and it had a hemi.<br /><br />Its just watching the latest commercials, about hemis, its got a hemi!!!!<br /><br />Oh and JB sorry about the f word, kinda have strong opinions and sometimes don't use the best language describing my thoughts.<br />Spud

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

thanks for the definition spud. yep, them hemi commercials are a rip! saw this posted somewheres...Iragie to US tank jockey.."that thing got a hemi in it?"

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

no clue as to new Hemis being good .. Spinner says He likes his so far but 100 miles on the odometer doesn't tell a long enough story for me yet. :p <br /><br />I've pretty much always owned and driven Ford trucks and have had very little if any problems with 'em concerning maintainence and repairs.<br /><br />One thing that has spoken volumes to me is a friend of mine was a mechanic and a Service Manager at a large GMC truck dealership here in Madison. ** He drove a Ford tuck** Imagine that .. a Service Manager of a GMC dealership owning and driving a Ford truck.. hmmmmmm there must be something to that.<br /><br />Close to 5 yrs ago, I guess, My Father who owns a heavy equipment const. co. bought 6 new P/U's for buisness as he does every 2-3yrs. 2 ea. Chevy/Dodge/Ford. All where 4x4, dsl, quad-cab duallys w/1 single tire F-250. The Fords were the only 2 that didn't see warranty work before or @ 50K they actually didn't see any tools other than brake pads/rotors and oil changes.<br /><br /> The Dodge's lived at the dealership with most of the problems. They could pull a tug boat through ice when they ran but, couldn't hold together. The Chevy's just fell apart from the start with ALOT of small stuff. The 4 Dodge/Chevy trucks made it almost a year then got traded in for Fords. <br /><br /><br />it's all a personal opinion .. could be what you like, grew up with, got a deal on or had luck with. Who knows but you yourself with the choice.<br /><br />I'm 6'5 @ 230lbs and couldn't spend any more then 20 minutes in a Nissan or Toyota they just don't make 'em practical for anyone outside of the 'average Asian'.. nice options, good reliability and resale with Toyotas but a stinkin sardine can as far as practical cab room for anyone bigger than Bruce Lee<br /><br />As for any other manufacturers motors and pick-ups I wouldn't/couldn't trust as much as Ford. We'll eventually see if the sales gimik of this Hemi BS stands the test of time.. for Spinner's sake if nothin' else. :D :cool:

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not a mechanic. don't know a hemi from a radiator. I have a good mechanic. He hates fords, drives a chev 1500. He told me once when I asked him his opinion, "every morning when I come to work there are about 5 fords in my parking lot waiting for me to fix em. I am sick of em." My mechanic at work told me the same thing. "Only good thing about fords is they keep me busy." I drive a Dodge, not a hemi.

aspeck

Staff member

Spud, I am with you, but each has their own preference. If that weren't the case, there would only be one manufacturer.<br /><br />Had a family dealership for 42 years. Yes, it was GM, and yes, we hated to see Ford, Chrysler, or any "ferin" stuff come into the service bays. Mechanics hated them (more familiar with what you are schooled on).<br /><br />Used car department hated to see the "other stuff" come in - because usually if someone was switching brands, it was because the vehicle they were driving was giving them a bad experience.<br /><br />Anyway, "hemi" is a very good media campaign. Good engines - probably. As good as hyped, no - but then, what is?

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Many of us older folks remember, back in the 60's when most engines were wedge-head, the hemi was, indeed, a very strong engine. "Big Daddy" Don Garlits, made his name and living off them at the drag strips. Now, CC is wanting to capitalize on those rememberences by re-marketing the buzz word. Are they that good? I don't know. How good they are is not dependent on whether they're hemi or not, but how good their controls, sensors, monitors, and electronics are. That's what gives everyone nightmares.

xikxak

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 99 GMC Sierra SLT,I love it(my son got tired of it and gave it to me)

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Boatbouy wins the box of snickers, folks!<br />It isn't the rings, cranks, and blocks that give the grief on any of them...It's all the environmental and fuel-saving, Bill Gates-inspired ,over-computerized crap that gets bolted-onto them, that leads to any of thier recalls,regardless of builder! <br />Since the fuel embargo of 76, the standard automobile engine is basicly unchanged, except for how it's operation (and in most cases, lack thereof), that leads parents to steer thier kids away from machinist trades and auto mechanics courses.<br />The HEMI of today, is nothing like the HEMI in my bro's '68 Roadrunner.<br />The R-R got 8-12MPG, had 380HP (nearly an HP per each of it's 383CI)...<br />The '04 RT my nephew has,gets 15-20MPG, has 345HP, and tells him when to change it's oil. The torque, over it's entire power band is MUCH more evenly-distributed than the 68...That is, until the computer forgets or crashes.<br />All one needs to look at, is the list of recalls.<br /><br />The causes for recall are mainly (and no manufaturer,including the "feren" ones, is immune---) Fuel+ingnition control issues, sensor and computer-based.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by SBN:<br /> I woke up again, I'm happy. :D
You and me both Spinner ! :D <br /><br />you know I'm just givin' ya a hard time, right?<br /><br />I'm hoping that truck sticks around and keeps goin' for ya. ;)