Help !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armymedic427

Cadet
I am a new boat owner and bought my first boat the other day. I bought a 1991 VIP 183 Fish & Ski with a 3.0 inboard. I took it out today for the first time and it ran great. About 20 into driving it I checked under the back deck and seen a good amount of water under the engine. After we figured out that the drain plug was not put in we were on our way back to the ramp. By the time we got to the ramp we had to wait to get to the dock, to drop off my driver to get the truck, the boat died. I had the bilge pump on but that was not getting the water out fast enough. We were unable to get the motor started again. After getting the boat out and up the ramp we noticed that the ski storage in the floor was full of water. We still can not get the motor to start. I am currently using a fan to attempt to dry out the motor. Is there anything else that I need to do or have I ruined the motor? Please HELP.

Thanks

the vision

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Help !!!!

Yes check oil if it is milky you need to change it. check circuit breaker reset if you don't hve power and let the electrical circuits dry out.

Armymedic427

Cadet
Re: Help !!!!

I think that it may have got up the the starter because today all it would do is click when turning the key. but when we tapped the back of the starter it tried to trun over. I dont know if the starter can get water in it or if the starter is just bad. If water did get in it will it be ok to just let it dry out or will i have have to be worried about rust inside the starter and just replace it now. I am taking the batteries to get load tested in the morning to make sure that they are ok, before i go any further.
Thank you for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.