Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dyzz1128

Cadet
:confused: I recently bought a 1985 Sunbird w/ a merccruiser 140 alpha 1 from the ORIGINAL owner. He took this boat out earlier this summer and it crapped out on him and he had to get towed back. This was the first time he has ran the boat in a full year. He checked the oil and found that it had water in the oil. Now is where i need the help.
I live in Louisiana and the humidity here is horrible. Is is possible that from the boat sitting up for one year got that much condensation in the oil?

Head Gasket or Block?
I took the plugs all out to do a compression test and here is what i got.
Cylinder 1-120
Cylinder 2-120
Cylinder 3-115
Cylinder 4-135

Instead of loosening the plugs and firing them up to get the loose carbon off, i just went ahead took them all out and started from there. could the loose carbon falling on the valves lower the compression?

Since i am getting that kinda compression does that rule out my block being cracked?

I plan on flushing the oil out a couple of times to ensure the water is out of the oil pan. then i intend on doing a water test through the intake to see if i loose any pressure from there. if i do loose pressure, the water is leaking out somewheres and i need to find where.

What should my next steps be? What should my compression be?

help me out please!

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:confused: I recently bought a 1985 Sunbird w/ a merccruiser 140 alpha 1 from the ORIGINAL owner. He took this boat out earlier this summer and it crapped out on him and he had to get towed back. This was the first time he has ran the boat in a full year. He checked the oil and found that it had water in the oil. Now is where i need the help.
I live in Louisiana and the humidity here is horrible. Is is possible that from the boat sitting up for one year got that much condensation in the oil?
Has the oil level on the dipstick risen significantly?.....
Head Gasket or Block?
I took the plugs all out to do a compression test and here is what i got.
Cylinder 1-120
Cylinder 2-120
Cylinder 3-115
Cylinder 4-135
Within operating parameters.......

Instead of loosening the plugs and firing them up to get the loose carbon off, i just went ahead took them all out and started from there. could the loose carbon falling on the valves lower the compression?
NO!
Since i am getting that kinda compression does that rule out my block being cracked?
No!
I plan on flushing the oil out a couple of times to ensure the water is out of the oil pan. then i intend on doing a water test through the intake to see if i loose any pressure from there. if i do loose pressure, the water is leaking out somewheres and i need to find where.
Do a test with compressed air

What should my next steps be? What should my compression be?
help me out please!
Your compression is OK.....
Will the engine turn over & run at all?.......
Welcome to iboats, btw.......:)

dyzz1128

Cadet

Thanks for the welcome and the comment!

I havent hooked the rabbit ears on it yet; i have cranked it to turn it over and i shut it off. I bought the boat yesterday as a project boat and i am just getting started on checking all of this and looking for some guidance.

Speedylifsavr

Recruit

this sounds strangely familiar.........I have same motor....same problem , just bought my boat too....

In my case ended up being cracked manifold , replaced manifold and riser and water problem fixed . Just chasing some other gremlins now .

Good luck!

firehog6305

Petty Officer 1st Class

what happens if he does have a water leaking in the oil???????? whats the best way to find the leak *head gasket-manifold* you said for him to do a pressure test with air, then just listen for the leak??? I have always wondered how that works, I hope I'm not jinxing myself ha ha

dyzz1128

Cadet

I think the way that works is..these motors are water cooled through the intake system , so hook up your air compressor and run air through the system, if it is not leaking, your gauge will stay on a set psig once the system is full. If it is leaking, the pressure will rise to its full potential and begin loosing pressure slowly on your gauge.

Like i said i think thats how it is sorta done, so if i am completely incorrect someone please inform me where i do not do this the wrong way!

firehog6305

Petty Officer 1st Class

ya but????? if its a bad head gasket, wouldnt it leak air into the engine??? just wondering if there was a way to tell if it was a head gasket or maniflod that was leaking, without pulling them of seperatly and having them tested???

dyzz1128

Cadet

Well, if i change and flush the oil out a few times and get the water out of the oil. If i hook up the rabbit ears and let her run and check the dipstick frequently. If it has water in it, it is the manifold. None of my spark plugs are water fouled. I am going to put new plugs in tomorrow when i flush crank her up and check and see if there is any damage or water on the plugs. If it is the head gasket, will water get on the plugs?

firehog6305

Petty Officer 1st Class

no, I hope someone will chime in here and solve that for us ha ha, when you have a blown head gasket, it will mix the water and the oil together, but I believe that the plugs wont always have water on them, I had a cracked block on my old boats motor, the oil got full of water when it ran with muffs, or in the water, and I never saw water on the plugs

dyzz1128

Cadet

Yeah, i am new at this motor thing and just trying to see where i need to go next. I have been reading some other threads and they have been helpful. I guess i need reassurance from someone who knows what they are talking about to make sure i am on the right track.

firehog6305

Petty Officer 1st Class

well I was always raised to believe, that if your oil has water in it on a boat, it can only be a few things, 1. cracked block, 2. head gasket, 3. cracked manifold, 4. contensation, 5. water got into motor from exter opening some how, I too wish there was some type of test that can be done, to tell you which way to go, without ripping everything apart, thats what I was asking:confused: well good luck on your repair:)

dyzz1128

Cadet

Thanks for the feedback, ill keep this thing posted and let you know what i find out.
Take it easy!

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the welcome and the comment!

I havent hooked the rabbit ears on it yet; i have cranked it to turn it over and i shut it off. I bought the boat yesterday as a project boat and i am just getting started on checking all of this and looking for some guidance.

Have you tried just changing the oil and filter, changed the plugs, and you might need to change the oil a couple of times and check the dipstick to see if the oil rises to above full

Coors

Captain

put air into the coolant area(plug all the hoses except the one you put 15 lbs of air in- then listen for leaks.)

dyzz1128

Cadet

:) UPDATE!!!!!

This evening, I drained all of the oil & water out of the motor and flushed it out with good oil until the water was gone. I then cranked her up and she fired right up. So here was the part where i run the motor for a little while and check the oil for water. If the water was there it would be a cracked head or block...BUT to my suprise NOTHING BUT OIL AND I RAN HER FOR ABOUT 30 MIN!!!! So that is some good news, but in the mist of all of this i found where the water entered into the motor! The main rear seal is bad! towards the end of running the boat i noticed 2 small leaks running down. so next step, pull the motor and replace the seal!!!

Also, i will post some pics of the new project, so keep checking up and i will keep you guys updated on the motor!

Thank all of you for the help!

~Darren