HELP: Zodiac Futura Reviews...

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: HELP: Zodiac Futura Reviews...

attachment.php

I bet it could be dropped in and recovered by one person using this NEW technology ;)
attachment.php

Attachments

• futura launching kit.jpg
    futura launching kit.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 180px-Block_and_Tackle-1.gif
    180px-Block_and_Tackle-1.gif
    12.1 KB · Views: 0

J@mes

Seaman Apprentice

Good stuff! =D

Firstly, what size Futura is that and what size engine? (total weight?)

That pulley system looks good, can it really cut weight by 50%?!! Also where can you buy one from?

Thanks!

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

DSC05006.jpg

Don't think anyone has thrown out the dolly option yet. They worked so well for me last year I made a new beefed up set with 5" wheels to handle the heaved concrete on some of the boat ramps.

I like the concept of the big fat single (red) roller but I don't see a price. My guess is 400-500 US dollars each? Here's a youtube video link pulling/pushing a 12.5 foot out with 25 hp 4 stroke on it (total weight about 400 pounds). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqYRJaenklw

azzurro

Seaman

Good stuff! =D

Firstly, what size Futura is that and what size engine? (total weight?)

That pulley system looks good, can it really cut weight by 50%?!! Also where can you buy one from?

Thanks!
In Spain they are called "polipastos", "Archimede from Syracusa" patent I think.

I use one for lifting a Sevylor kayak up to my terrace roof. Beware more pulley rollers mean more friction on pulleys and lines, so theory may vary: in my case, most of the strength is related witth friction rather than weight (but somehow it's a good idea to "brake" the line: you must pull a lot to lift, but a little kid can hold alone).

Any nautic shop will offer. Choose proper lines to avoid more friction. Both lines and "polipasto" pulleys must be strong enough.

J@mes

Seaman Apprentice

Pack Rat... those dolly wheels would not work for me because of the 2 steps at the bottom of the slip way!

I am leaning towards the transom wheels and using this to pull the boat up onto the slip way... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-TON-HAN..._Lifting_Moving_Equipment&hash=item3f01ec47cd

I will have to check the anchor ring that used to be on the wall in line with the slip way, this would be ideal to connect the hand winch to! I have a feeling it was stolen a few years ago, cant remember, but I am out there in two weeks time so will check. If it isn't there than I will have to buy and fit one, something like this... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ground-An...33?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3cc4c44575

J@mes

Seaman Apprentice

just found these... http://www.beachmaster.co.nz/

though they are only rated to 200kg but look a lot stronger looking than the zodiac ones. I would have thought they could take 200kg each! I wonder if its because they fold?! either way they are a simple design and I am sure I could make a similar set up but a none folding version and thus stronger!

Peter_C

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just found these... http://www.beachmaster.co.nz/

though they are only rated to 200kg but look a lot stronger looking than the zodiac ones. I would have thought they could take 200kg each! I wonder if its because they fold?! either way they are a simple design and I am sure I could make a similar set up but a none folding version and thus stronger!
Do you have access to a Tig welder, drill press, grinders (Many), files, burrs, air tools, etc.? If not buy a prefab pair of wheels. I just built a "simple" pair of transom wheels for my boat. It took a lot of man hours, cost around $350 US dollars, and took a ton of tools most people do not own. For me there was nothing available that would roll across a soft sand beach, so I had to build my own setup utilizing 49cm Wheeleez tyres. You could have a professional welder build you pair for a large sum of money that would work excellent. We have a stair step at Point Lobos, one of our launch ramps, during ultra low tides, I am hoping won't be a problem recovering over anymore.

My recommendation get the largest diameter, heaviest duty transom wheels you can find that are bolt on.

Forget the 2 ton little winch thing you posted (I own one and know how they work). It will take an hour to get the boat clear of the water and have to be set up numerous times blocking the boat wheels while reconfiguring. A simply pulley system is your best bet. You can easily soft lock it off, or if you wanted can get a Halkey pulley setup that has a rope clinch installed on it.

J@mes

Seaman Apprentice

There is a local metal works company near to me and I have used them a few times to weld things up for me on cars etc. They are very good and reasonable, so if I do go down the transom wheels route, before buying the zodiac ones or cheaper stronger looking ones from ebay, I will cost out the price of me just buying strong wheels and taking them to the metal works company near me to make up their own design for the transom legs! I would suspect the cost of this will be cheaper than buying the likes of Zodiac's own transom wheels, or ones off ebay which cost a fair bit and don't look that strong. I am sure I will sort something out! :)