Help- wrapping interior paneling with vinyl

giterdone72

Seaman
I am inthe finish stages of restoring an 85 Bayliner capri and am wrapping all the 3/8ths ply for the interior side paneling with1" foam and marine vinyl.
I cannot seem to fold the vinyl over to staple it without a large pointy "fold" in the corners. I'm doing it kinda like a Xmas present but it looks bad...
There must be a trick to the fold/staple method that i cannot figure out.
Appreciate any help guys...
Thanks

Re: Help- wrapping interior paneling with vinyl

Giter,

First off make sure your corners are rounded and not sharp points. Also ease the top edge of the board (foam side) so that nothing pinches as you pull the vinyl over the edge. Next trim the vinyl so that it generally follows the corner radius while still giving you a good overlap for stapling. Now make slits in the vinyl from the outside edge to within about 1/4" of the inside radius almost like pizza slices. Now take it one piece (slice) at a time and strech it slightly over the radius and staple. Repeat all around the corner creating tiny pleats or folds as you go.

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

Heating the vinyl with a hairdryer helps a ton with wrinkle free corners.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

^^^ Bingo !!

YD.

lowvlot

Petty Officer 1st Class

side panel1.jpg

Post pics of what you did and how it looks. I just did the same thing on my 87 and it turned out fine. I used the original vinyl as a pattern.

giterdone72

Seaman

Thanks for all the advice- got it done! cutting like a pizza helped alot!!