Help with Volvo drive noise/vibration

nrladeere

Seaman
I have a 96 Volvo 5.0 with the Sx outdrive. To make a long story short I have some vibration and noise when maing full indexed turns in the water. My other Volvo had similar tendencies. I have replaced the U joints which showed some wear, installed a new gimble bearing and set the alignment which was off slightly. The vibration when turning is still there but maybe not as bad. What to I try next? The drive is silent at full turn on the muffs. Could my coupler be loose? I tend to think not as it is silky smooth at full RPM and when going straight. Could this be a prop issue? I have a new one on order. Any other thoughts or is this just the nature of my SX drive? Thanks for any input.

f_inscreenname

Commander
Re: Help with Volvo drive noise/vibration

Have had a couple of older Volvos that did the same thing. Started a thread about it on this board years ago. Most came to the conclusion that it was just the way it was. Some thought that volvos turn to far for the U joints and put stops in to prevent full turns to the side. I will keep mine like it is just incase I need that extra bit of turn and just not turn it that far unless its necessary.

a.d.mobile

Petty Officer 1st Class

what speed and what trim position and how hard of turn?

nrladeere

Seaman

It seems to be at relatively low speed around 8mph generally while turning to pick up a skier etc. I am usually trimmed down to about vertical.