help with setting my timing

forjen

Recruit
i own a 78' merc. M800, 80hp four cyl. it has thunderbolt ignition and no distributer. how do you adjust the timing on this thing i cant figure it out? :confused:

kev_79

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: help with setting my timing

Your timing marks are on you flywheel. Get a light, connect to top spark plug wire. Should have screws on arm going from where throttle cable connects up under flywheel That is how you adjust.

jimdi

Cadet

Make sure you find out whether the timing is to be set at ldle or at Wide Open Throttle.<br /><br />IF it's WOT - it must be in the water in gear - at full speed. Check with light while someone else drives - stop - shut off adjust - restart and check again.<br /><br />The two typs of timing - are not interchangeable.<br /><br />Most timing settings are adjusted by turning a screw on the lingage somewhere between the carbs and a rod that leads to the area near the flywheel. <br /><br />You shouldn't screw with this unless you have bought the book for your motor.

kev_79

Petty Officer 1st Class

Every outboard I have worked on, you have to set an idle and WOT timing. They don't have any mechanical or vaccuum advances.