help with running surge brake lines

dannieboiz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Instruction say to have 2 T unions but it adds a lot of annoyance to the routing of the cable.

Is it ok to not use that first T union with the plug from the actuator (the X in the photo) and go straight into the union that connects to the brake (the arrow)? Wouldn't it be one less point of failure? union.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its to allow you to easily bleed the system and to allow for expansion to 2 axles. if you want to skip the first Tee and plug, you can do so.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The line running between the calipers is split roughly 70/30.
How do you connect the line from the actuator (running down the frame) to the split unless you run the line at an angle across the frame, assuming you have enough brake line in the first place

alldodge

Staff member
The first union doesn't have to be a Tee, it can be a female coupler. Just need the flex line on the other side going to the axle Tee

dannieboiz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
the kit I got was all flex hose from actuator to the brakes. As some of you pointed out, that first T is so I can add a 2nd set of brakes to the other axle which I won't be needing. At the moment, I went ahead and skip the first T and went straight into the 2nd T. Tossing the spare in the boat should someone think otherwise.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Also they may be assuming you are using stainless hard lines along the frame back to the axle, then a flex line to the axle, hard line across the axles, and flex lines to the brake calipers.
While some use flex hose for the whole thing, I think its better to have flex lines only between the frame and axle and from the axle to each caliper.
I have mine set up with a hard line from the actuator along the frame rail, flex line from the frame to axle, a hard line across the axle and the flex lines to each brake assembly. Been like that for 15+ years no leaks, no problems, even with drum brakes. All I've had to do is replace the wheel cyls every 4-6 seasons.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
the kit I got was all flex hose from actuator to the brakes. As some of you pointed out, that first T is so I can add a 2nd set of brakes to the other axle which I won't be needing. At the moment, I went ahead and skip the first T and went straight into the 2nd T. Tossing the spare in the boat should someone think otherwise.
I did the same thing when I replaced my entire brake system too. Works just fine for the last 5 years. In a perfect world you’d have hard
pipe for most of it the long hose is a breeze to install and works just fine

RogerV

Recruit
I just replaced all the lines on my triple axle venture brakes on all three axles, If your trailer is a single axle and the line from the actuator to the tee your fine if you are fishing the frame put some armor sheath where it enters and exits the frame to protect from chaffing,

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I replaced my rotted out steel line going back towards the axles with a rubber line. Brakes work fine. I have electric/hydraulic with disc Kodiak brakes.