Help with old OMC

darkadie

Recruit
I have been given a old boat. I don't know if it is a blessing or a curse thus far. I always dreamed of a boat but now I dont know. It looks like so much work, and I know so little about it. First of all I will tell you what I know. it's a OMC crownline, 60 something model, 4 cylinder stern drive. From outward it looks in perfect condition. the deck on the inside has a whole in it, fiberglass over wood deck. I think I can fix that. The engine is a mystery to me the model # is DU-11a. The repair manuals I seen dont cover 4 cylinder motors that OMC manufactured between 1964-1970. So I don't know if that means its pre 1964 or what. The only thing I've done thus far is pull out the seats to try and get ready to tackle the deck. A friend suggested I pull the plugs and put motor oil inside and let it sit. I did that. I dont even know if this motor is 2cycle or 4cycle. I do know it had been sitting in the same place for over 10 years. It came with a nice tilt trailer though. Well any help the boat Gods can send my way will be appreciated. <br /><br />Thanks :confused: :confused:

bubbakat

Captain
Re: Help with old OMC

Littlemoney you can buy manuels from this site or you can get them elsewhere on this motor but will need the model no off the motor I couldn't find what I needed on iboats so I got a shop manual from amazon that covers 56 thru 72 1.5 hp thru 125 hp that has everything thing in it I needed . just a thought.

darkadie

Recruit

Thanks bubbakat for your reply, I looked for the shop manual you refered to and did not find anything on amazon.com. The Model # listed on my boat engine is DU-11a. I have searched this sight and I have not found any shop manuals that go with this particular engine. The manuals for sale on this site only seem to cover 6cyl and 8cyl engines for OMC. I'll keep looking though.<br /> :rolleyes:

dkondelik

Chief Petty Officer

mornin' littlemoney,<br /><br />have you tried www.kencook.com ?<br />he's the authorized omc manual/document re-print center. <br /><br />Goos Luck

JasonB

Lieutenant

Is the motor an inline 4 like a car or a V4 like an outboard? I know OMC made some sterndrives out of their V4 outboard powerheads, but they seem pretty rare. Is the flywheel in front of the motor or out of sight against the drive housing? I'm not sure what OMC may have used in the early days for a car type engine. The popular Mercruiser was a 2.5 Chevy and OMC used the 2.3 Ford in later years. Is theer a sticker left that indicates horsepower?

JasonB

Lieutenant

Found It! What you have is a 1964 88hp OMC Stern Drive. Check here for manuals: http://www.marineengine.com/manuals/omc_sterndrive/order_pre-1980.html <br /><br />I suspect that this is a V4 Outboard powerhead mated to a stern drive. If so, parts likely won't be a big problem for the motor. The drive itself may be a different story, but I have not real idea on it. Would still be interested in where the flywheel is, I'm betting it is on the front. Hope this helps.

darkadie

Recruit

Okay guys I found the Manuals on the www.kencook.com site I also located the manuals on the other site that Jason B refered to, the only thing that was different was it had the model number listed on the site as DU-DUE-11a and on my motor it just has DU-11a. Anyway I guess it is the same. At the risk of sounding stupid I'm not sure if I understand the difference betwwen a inline 4 and a V4 Jason B. Maybe you could educate me a little on the difference between the two engines. The flywheel does sit to the Foward or Bow side of the engine. Is this good or bad?

JasonB

Lieutenant

An inline 4 would almost guarantee that you have a car type 4 stroke. The V4 tells me that you have a good old 2 stroke outboard powerhead mated to the outdrive as I don't thing anyone ever used a V4 4 stroke in a boat. you will need to add oil at 50:1. That powerhead should be a good runner if it is maintained. I have its close relative in a 1976 85hp V4 outboard. It has never failed to get me home so far. It is neither good nor bad, just 2 stroke/4stroke. It may be good as that V4 is very light compared to the equivalant 4stroke and I like the crossflow V4 motors. Mine has been solid. It doesn't have the greatest fuel economy, but it has needed verl little outside routine maintenance.