Help with new Delco EST timing

LAC_STS

Master Chief Petty Officer
I just installed a new Delco EST kit. Everything is going great besides this one thing.

My OEM manual says with 87 octane gas to set the timing at 3 degrees BTDC.

So I put the timing shunt in and set it to base timing mode. Set the timing at 3 degrees BTDC and then turned the engine off. Reversed the timing plug into "start / run mode" and as soon as I start it back up the timing is at 9 or 10 degrees BTDC. All this is at idle speed 650 RPMs.

Is this normal? I know base timing mode takes all the advance away but there shouldn't be any advance at 650 RPMs if I'm thinking correct.

Is this right or no? Thank you.

And I want to add that this upgrade is awesome. I should have done this 5 years ago when the kits we're going for around $360. Even after sitting for a week my boat now starts just as fast as my 2014 truck. With all the tune up kits and time I've spent with the stupid points system this would have paid for itself and saved me lots of headaches. I ended up getting the kit for $425 using one of my friends business account.

LAC_STS

Thank you.

Just to help me understand if I'm suppose to be at 3 degrees BTDC then how can 9 or 10 degrees BTDC at idle be ok? Wouldn't that be wayyyy too advanced?

Just doesn't make sense to me if anybody can give me a quick explanation I would really appreciate it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Out of curiosity, how are you hooking up your ESA now? Just so you know there is a CDI ESA that will work with the Delco EST distributor. Some people also bypass the ESA and use the shift switch to interrupt the distributor like Mercruiser method but I would definitely try to keep the ESA if you can.

LAC_STS

Out of curiosity, how are you hooking up your ESA now? Just so you know there is a CDI ESA that will work with the Delco EST distributor. Some people also bypass the ESA and use the shift switch to interrupt the distributor like Mercruiser method but I would definitely try to keep the ESA if you can.

Hi Bruce,

I have two sets of instructions. One older one that has Crusader on it and the newer one that came with the kit.

Both instructions say to eliminate the ESA and just use the Interupt switch. When the interrupted switch is activated is sends 12V to the dist this stumbling the engine. The only thing is if the switch is activated for too long like more than 1 or 1 1/2 seconds it will kill the engine. But my shift cables are set up pretty good so I shouldn't have a problem with that.

Basically I ran a 12V wire with a 2 amp inline fuse to one end of the Interupt switch then the other side of the Interupt switch goes to the connector that connects to the dist. The connector that goes to the dist goes in the same spot as the timing shunt. So if you needed to install the timing shunt you would have to unplug the shift Interupt connector and the plug the timing shunt it.

Seems to be working great right now. What would the new ESA do differently? Would it provide 12V? It wouldn't work like the old way where it sends out ground.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I would definitely also wire it through the overstroke switch too so it gets disabled when you are in gear.

If you had the ESA it would send 12V pulses to the distributor and it would also be timed so it would only happen for a few seconds before it timed out.

I think your main problem may be when your cable gets older so just be aware. Who know...may never happen.

Here are the CDI instructions for the 5 pin ESA connector
http://www.cdielectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/123-7566.pdf

LAC_STS

I would definitely also wire it through the overstroke switch too so it gets disabled when you are in gear.

If you had the ESA it would send 12V pulses to the distributor and it would also be timed so it would only happen for a few seconds before it timed out.

I think your main problem may be when your cable gets older so just be aware. Who know...may never happen.

Here are the CDI instructions for the 5 pin ESA connector
http://www.cdielectronics.com/wp-con...1/123-7566.pdf

Just to be clear what your saying about the ESA sending 12V pulses is with the newer style ESA correct?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Just to be clear what your saying about the ESA sending 12V pulses is with the newer style ESA correct?
Yes, it's with this CDI ESA I linked or the 2 connector version depending on what you have.

Go with what you have if it works. I would definitely make sure the overstroke switch is being used though.