Help with Jetski purchase

wallymn99

Recruit
Looking at a SeaDoo 1997 GTX 800. It has 150 hours on it.. is this considered alot of hours for this model? need opinions or should i look elsewhere. HELP!

rksnow1

Recruit
Re: Help with Jetski purchase

Looking at a SeaDoo 1997 GTX 800. It has 150 hours on it.. is this considered alot of hours for this model? need opinions or should i look elsewhere. HELP!

Hi, Ive had a few waverunners and many have ranged from 50 to 100 hours on them. While 150 is higher them most I have had, I had a 98 GTS with close to 200 hours on it and ran like a top. I would say condition and price is everything. Hours just mean it was used, sitting and not used if not winterized and stored properly can be even worse.

What is the overall condition of the PWC? Price? Any service records? Was it used in fresh or salt water? If it was used in salt water, look for corrosion on the jetdrive and the motor. Is the engine paint peeling bad, another sign of salt corosion...

Ask if they have a Flush kit. If not I would skip it right there myself... If these things arent flushed after each use in salt water they quickly deteriorate from the inside. Look at the tune pipe on the exhaust. There will look to be 4 round plugs welded in from the factory. these are from the casting process and often are the first to corrode and leak.

you may need a flashlight but look at the wear ring through the jet. Is it scared up or is the impellor nicked bad? Not too hard of a fix, maybe a few hundred if you need an impellor but a sure sign it needs TLC.

Check that guages work, check Electrical fuse box and connections for corosion and water inside. Check the steering it should be smooth and check the reverse gate works smooth as well. Sometimes when people trailer them the tiedowns bend the steering linkage if tied too tight.

These are the things I would recommend checking so you have an idea. None are nessasarily things to stay away from if the price is right and you can do the work yourself. I think I have owned 10 PWC so far and none were ever 100% when I got them.

I have a 97 GTX 800 Im selling for $2500 with a trailer and has 90hrs on it. All serviced and running 100%. I can send you pictures if you wanted to compare against the one you are looking at, or check it out if you are local as well. Im in PA on the Delaware.

If you have any questions I can help with let me know and Ill try to help.

tca666

Recruit

97 GTX 800 for $2500 better come with a stack of $100 bills under the hood. Worth about $700 if your lucky

dannyual767

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jet ski pricing appears to be region specific. Where I live in north Florida (or pretty much anywhere in FL) that 97 GTX would only be worth about $1500. Perhaps $1800 if it were in exceptional shape. If it were in rough shape, $700. Of course most of our craft are saltwater boats and I think that lowers the value as well.