Help with filling Motor Mount holes Starcraft

18Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice
I just got a 1982 18 ft Center Console Starcraft. I think its called a Mariner. Came with a 80 HP Mercury, same year. Problem is there are problems with the motor & cost to repair is $700+. Luckly I have a 115HP Evenrude with T&T from my old boat which had a rotted transom & some other problems, rather then give someone else my headaches it is now legaly disposed of in a landfill. Naturally the mount setup is different. Boat plate show is rated for up to 135HP. My question is, What is correct way to fill old engine mount holes. Transom is solid & I want to keep it that way. Looks like 1/2 inch bolts & transom is about 1 7/8in. I know I have to redo controls and can handle that. I will also be replacing the helm and steering cables. I looked at the forum but could not find the answer to my problem. You guys do a great job helping others to do the job right the first time.

Last edited:

EsoxRanger

Seaman
Re: Help with filling Motor Mount holes Starcraft

I would just get a minimal setback jackplate, it will act like and adaptor plate, and on top of that you can get the advantages a jackplate would offer, prop running in cleaner water, the ability to tweak the motor height to the exact right spot, quicker planing etc...

Rickairmedic

Commander

18 welcome to iboats and once we see pics The Starcraft club :D . The easiest answer to your question is stainless bolts and some 4200 sealer.

Rick

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

I would think you can fill the hole with either peanut butter (thickened resin) with fiberglass additive for strength or use a wood dow glued in with waterproof adhesive or PB

18Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice

thanks to all. I'm not really looking at adding the cost of jackplate or its benefits. I think I have more than enuf motor then I'll ever use and already has T&T. If the new mount does not interfear with the SS bolts I'll probably go that way. The Evenrude mount is wider then the Mercury. So this may be easiest. It it does interfear I'll go with the dowl being soaked in glass and wedged into the hole. this is a great forum, 3 different ideas in 15 minutes. 3 heads are better then one.

Rickairmedic

Commander

18 the dowle rod is great on a Glass boat but in a Tincan the Stainless bolts work best :D. Theres quite a few of us Starcrafters around here .

Rick