Help with Carb rebuild. Pics & questions.

rothfm

Ensign
Never rebuilt carbs before, have a bunch of questions if someone can help. 1993 Johnson 115.

Got a pic of a tube that appears broken off in a carb, maybe explains my lean sneeze?

I Swapped carbs with another motor to prove sneeze was carbs--it was. Brought the carbs inside and noticed one of the little tubes broken off on one side (see pic). Not knowing how exactly these carbs work--Could this be the lean sneeze?? Also is this piece replaceable/repairable?

I have the factory manual, and BRP rebuild kits...but it really doesnt spell out what/where the low idle jets are. I want to ensure they are clear but there are alot of "holes", and what appear to be "orafices". They do mention IDLE AIR BLEED ORIFICES....are these the jets? Do I have to remove all these ofafices--or can I just run a wire thru them or clean them, they do seem open/clean.

Last question....do I have to remove that "bb/lead shot" and the round core plugs?

Sorry for all the questions...I wanted to get these done, and try them before the weekend, but dont want to omitt anything.0501132159.jpg0501132137.jpg0501132158.jpg

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Help with Carb rebuild. Pics & questions.

I cant answer them all but dont remove the bb lead shot
Also the middle top hole is the idle orifice, Remove it, clean it and spray and clean down that hole with soft wire or pressurised air/wd40/carb cleaner or both is what i do.
You need to take it apart and check that blowing through each little hole with some carb cleaning product/air has a good stream coming out a exit on it somewhere.
Out of one will hopefully pop out some gum that was the blockage.
Not sure about the broken pipe on the right. Are you sure its broken and not just a hole there?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Got a pic of a tube that appears broken off in a carb, maybe explains my lean sneeze?
Nope as tubes are slosh tubes.. OMC just added them when the made the Turd jet motors. These hole as here on the old carbs without tubes.
Also is this piece replaceable/repairable?
Nope...
but it really doesnt spell out what/where the low idle jets are.
Look in throats at top of carb and you will see 2 brass jets these are the idle. When you have bowl off there are 2 in the flat portion of bowl and these are these are you intermediate jets and the 2 under theside plug in bowl are your mains. Sand the bowls on a flat pece of glass are they are know to warp. Only use OEM gasket kit as some aftermarket kits are to thin and will not seal.
Do I have to remove all these ofafices--or can I just run a wire thru them or clean them
Its better to remove and use a wire also, just do body separate from bowl so there's no jet confusion....
do I have to remove that "bb/lead shot" and the round core plugs?
No.... but if you do/dont it a good practice to seal them clear nail polish when complete....

rothfm

Ensign

thansk Guys,

Faztbullet...Good locations of where each type are. The manual says orafice remove tool? Small screwdriver ok? My bowls/bottoms are plastic, still ok to sand them flat. And yes, OEM BRP kits. Thanks!

rothfm

Ensign

OK, THANKS for replying. I'll rebuild tonight...test tomorrow. I put on a set of 115 1 3/16 on that run and idle great. The originals were 1 5/16 that had the sneeze....would I be ok to leave these in for now, while rebuilding the orig's??

Key question at the moment.

thanks again

mark