Help with Bourbon.

Skiuseme

Chief Petty Officer
So the Wife and I are hosting a Kentucky Derby Party this year. I need suggestions on the bourbon we put in the Mint Juleps. I'm a Bourbon drinker and I prefer the sour mash bourbon if I'm mixing it Makers, Evan Williams, Jack, and others. But, if I'm drinking it neat or straight I do prefer the sweet mash Bourbons like, Woodfords, Knob Creek, Breckenridge and others. I like our friends but damn ill go broke if I'm pouring Woodfords for the Juleps ( Plus I wouldn't do that to that bourbon.)

The Wife's and non bourbon drinkers I need to convince them that these cocktails are great and full of traditions but, need something that isn't as " Boozy"

So I need help.......

Then when it is made, sip it slowly. August suns are shining, the breath of the south wind is upon you. It is fragrant cold and sweet - it is seductive. No maidens kiss is tenderer or more refreshing, no maidens touch could be more passionate. Sip it and dream-it is a dream itself. No other land can give you so much sweet solace for your cares; no other liquor soothes you in melancholy days. Sip it and say there is no solace for the soul, no tonic for the body like old Bourbon whiskey. Joshua Soule Smith.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Darn....... I was misled by the title of the thread........ I was going to say " sure I will help......how many barrels do we have to drink! ":)

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
So the Wife and I are hosting a Kentucky Derby Party this year.
So I need help.......

Then when it is made, sip it slowly. August suns are shining, the breath of the south wind is upon you. It is fragrant cold and sweet - it is seductive.

?? The Derby is in May. :)
Not a bourbon drinker, but as with anything else involving recipes, you should use the best quality ingredients possible, even if it bothers you mixing the really good stuff with "additives'.

southkogs

Staff member
Look up Calumet Farms Lexington Bourbon (I think was the stuff). I'm not a big drinker, but if I've got the right one it was impressive.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
well technically he didn't say we weren't invited, and I think any of us who give advice should certainly be allowed to come and see if our advice went well.

that said, I'm cheap, I'd put Jack in them. if they don't like their drinks "boozy" then use a little less......................which of course leave more for the rest of us.

I may try one of your juleps but after that save the add ons and I'll just have Jack thanks

BTW I might have missed the address would you mind PMing it to me.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Boy, with the way I feel this morning, I could use some help with Bourbon!

:lol:

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Darn....... I was misled by the title of the thread........ I was going to say " sure I will help......how many barrels do we have to drink! ":)

I was thinking the same thing - help with ridding one of excess spirits. I would be in for that.

Only bad point is you can't make a decent margarita using bourbon.

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander
I was thinking the same thing - help with ridding one of excess spirits. I would be in for that.

Only bad point is you can't make a decent margarita using bourbon.
sure you can. take a margarita glass
fill with bourbon
enjoy

by the time you get to the bottom it will be the best margarita you ever had

angus63

Captain
Sip the one you like best. If you add enough sugar, mint and ice to the cheapest jug on sale, hardly anyone will notice. I am partial to Bookers, but never turn down other brands offered at a gathering. Enjoy the Derby!!