Help with Boat Info

ArchersArrow88

Recruit
Hey everyone. I'm going to be restoring my first boat and the one i was given is unknown to me. Does anyone know the make or brand of this boat. 20220905_143731.jpg

Attachments

• 20220905_143801.jpg
    20220905_143801.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 23
  • 20220905_143809.jpg
    20220905_143809.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 23

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Judging by the tail (stern) fins it is mid 1950's something. Although you asked for information on the boat, I will offer some advice since I know nothing about the manufacturer, make, or model of the boat. Looking at the pictures it appears the transome needs replacing and I would venture a guess that it was replaced at another time in it's life. The hull is fiberglass or plastic of some sort yet the transome is not so that's my reasoning for earler replacement. All of the wood appears to be in need of replacement and when the floor is removed you will likely find some rotten stringers. So with that in mind, before you do anything else, strip the wood to see what you are dealing with. Weigh the cost of restoration vs what the boat is worth when you are done. If the stars align, go for the restoration and if not, give someone else a free boat.

dwco5051

Commander
Depending on what state or province you are in be certain you have all the paperwork needed to show you are the owner of the boat. It could be a real shame to put hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars fixing it up and find you can not get it registered for use.

briangcc

Commander
Looks like the reg numbers start 2H....that's not US based.

Going off the fins, probably late 50's early 60's. Can look at fiberglassics.com to see if you find something that comes close. Given how many boat manufacturers came & went during that time, some of which records were lost to the great bit bucket in the sky, it'll be a needle in haystack search.

Registration paperwork would help narrow it down.

southkogs

Staff member
Do some lookin' HERE. He did a pretty good job of collecting some work on all of the "fin" boats from the US. A vintage fiberglass kinda' gallery: whatever it is it's late 50s or early 60s. I'd bet it to be American mainly because I think the fins were a US "thing," weren't' they?

Welcome aboard.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Looks to be from the Edmonton area.-------With a boat like that you will save gasoline.------You will do more talking at the ramp with new friends than actually boating.----Looks like it had a Johnson / Evinrude 35 / 40 HP on it from around 1960.

ArchersArrow88

Recruit
Thanks for all the replies. The owner's house unfortunately burnt down and all the paperwork on the boat burned with it. He collects old cars and boats and restores them and I've been doing a lot of work for him so as a thank you he gave me one to restore and have. unfortunately he can't recall the details of this particular boat.

I'm in Alberta, Canada

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
No idea…but best of luck and great to refurbish an old lady. But a word of warning would be to know what you’re getting yourself into. Have a look at the transom and anything wooden. Floors, stringers, bulkhead etc. any of these are less than good…she’s worthless until she’s properly fixed. Many guys I know are clever with wood, glass and have the patience. If you are too, no reason why she can’t be tip top again.

HRG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for all the replies. The owner's house unfortunately burnt down and all the paperwork on the boat burned with it. He collects old cars and boats and restores them and I've been doing a lot of work for him so as a thank you he gave me one to restore and have. unfortunately he can't recall the details of this particular boat.

I'm in Alberta, Canada
Maybe check Canadian laws regarding putting a stored boat back into service. Will they require that all back registration and other fees be paid to get the new registration?