Help with bench testing 1992 40hp?

Thaiboxer04

Seaman
I have a 1992 Johnson 40hp that came off of a Tracker. I no longer need it and have to sell it. Everyone wants to hear if it runs so I'm debating on building a stand for it. My question is about the ignition. The controls don't have a built in key (like the Mercs I'm used to) so it needs a 6 pin ignition key cylinder with "push to choke" for mounting it in a boat. Can the motor be started on a stand without the key/ ignition cylinder where I just jump start the starter (like a pull start smaller outboard)? Or does this motor require the key cylinder to supply power to the ignition system? Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
I would get a set of controls for it off eBay. If you pay $100-$150 for them, you'll more than likely get more than that back when you sell it as a complete motor with controls.

Thaiboxer04

Seaman
Well i do have controls for it. It has the little trim button for your thumb built in etc. It just doesn't have a key cylinder built into the control box like the old Mercury i'm familiar with. I guess the tracker boat had a key cylinder on the dashboard of the boat.