Help with a evenrude motor!

rmayle23

Recruit
I'm about to buy a boat that the owner says has a 29hp evenrude motor. Has evenrude ever made a 29hp motor? The reason i ask is because on the motor where it should say what the hp is, it is scratched out? Any help with this would be great.

evin300

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Help with a evenrude motor!

I personally have vever heard of 29hp Do you mean that the ID tag/plate is scratched out?<br />It wont show the hp on the tag, but if you have the model# from the tag you can post it and you will have a answer soon. Keep in mind that a thief would have a interest in scratching the serial number off or damaging the tag. I cant help but be suspicious of an owner that doesnt know what the horsepower of his motor is. <br /><br />Be careful, I dont know that I have ever seen money dissapear as fast as a poor boat investment decision. There has been some good posts lately about this issue: http://www.iboats.com/ubb/Forum17/HTML/002331.html <br /><br />Anyone else ever heard of a 29 HP?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I rememember a 28hp Johnson from way back in 1970.

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've never heard of a 29 HP John-Rude either. Well, nothing mfg. in the past 40 years anyway. More importantly, Evin300 is right on the mark by saying if you cannot read the serial number on the tag...or it's altogether missing...DON'T BUY IT!! It's more than likely hot! There are plenty of other opportunities out there... Walt