Help winterizing 2013(?) VP 4.3 mpi

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Just got down to the river for the weekend, noticed my neighbor's boat still on the lift. Long story short, it hasn't been winterized. We've had a few freezes this year, not sure how cold, but I think engine crackin' temps. I offered to help her pull the boat and winterize. 2 ramps nearby, closest maybe 1 mile max. Other one is maybe 5 or 6 miles, but much easier to drive to, and would let me get in a boat ride tomorrow :)
I'm familiar with the mercs but not VP

1. I plan on idling for 30 min or so and check for water/rising oil level/lousy running/leaks etc, then maybe a shorter close range run and recheck (or just go straight to the close ramp, boo)
2. Boat is a '13 (I think) chaparral with the above mentioned drive line. Does it have some goofy drain system or just the standard 4 drains?
3. Pull t stat hose? Other hoses?
4. Anything else? For some reason couldn't find much here searching. I'd love to read through the service manual. Failing that anybody have a link to the procedure?

alldodge

Staff member
VP's are a bit different but still basic GM 4.3.
You got it

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Block and mani plugs, drain j-hose, both hoses at raw water pump (or pull raw water pump cover)

In many cases, easier than Mercruiser

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Well, happy (or sad, I guess--that probably would have been my boat next year had the block cracked!) to report that it didn't crack. Access to everything was so easy. 4 blue plastic plugs, pulled the T stat hose, and saw the water pump hoses before seeing @Scott Danforth 's response. Beautiful day today, ended up on a 40 mile cruise.
Oh, also that boat with only me on board and <10 gal gas, perfect conditions only hit 42 mph WOT. Much heavier than mine...

IMG_20231216_120800.jpg