Help!!!!!volvo Penta aq125a inboard aq270 outboard

Cjp13021

Seaman Apprentice
Took my 84 bayliner capri out on the lake and drove up the river Thru the locks and back probably 30 plus miles. Boat has Volvo penta aq125a engine and aq270 outboard. On the way back I noticed the boat bogging down. When I hit the throttle wide open the boat would kind of chug like it wanted to stall. I couldn’t go up past 8mph or it would bog down and act weird. When I got to the dock I noticed that my exhaust flap was missing. I just changed this flap this summer. Rivets popped off I guess. Engine was running the whole time never shut it off . Was not over heating at all. Just got louder on the way back and sounded like it was running rough. Could I have gotten water in the cylinders due to the flap coming off ? What could be the issue? Maybe seaweed stuck inside the prop shaft somewhere ? This was muggy water with lots of algae and seaweed. Not sure what’s going on I’m fairly new to boating. Any help would be appreciated . Could it be bad gas? Gauge was on e but I had just put 12 gallons in it before I went out. I think my gauge is broke. I’m really not sure what the problem could be.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Exhaust flap doesn't matter

Did you service the points?
Set dwell with a meter?

Cjp13021

Seaman Apprentice
Exhaust flap doesn't matter

Did you service the points?
Set dwell with a meter?
It’s had a full tune up last year and new bell housing new points new cap …I ran it for like 3 hours along the Oneida river . Like 2 hours in the lake before the river. It was fine all day until the way back to the dock.

Fun Times

Staff member
You mentioned it’s getting louder… In what way? Say Mechanical inside the engine as if something may have broke?

Cjp13021

Seaman Apprentice
You mentioned it’s getting louder… In what way? Say Mechanical inside the engine as if something may have broke?
Not really loud, but like more vibrations, like it was wanting to stall, the sound is hard to explain..it was like a rumbling sound kind of but not loud loud…I only noticed it because I know how it sounds usually but if you were just someone that ran the boat for the first time you wouldn’t know the difference

Cjp13021

Seaman Apprentice
Not really loud, but like more vibrations, like it was wanting to stall, the sound is hard to explain..it was like a rumbling sound kind of but not loud loud…I only noticed it because I know how it sounds usually but if you were just someone that ran the boat for the first time you wouldn’t know the difference
If I went over 8-9 mph it would kind of try to stall ….kind of like a car running out of gas but I ran it for atleast a half hour back to the dock at 9 mph and it never shut off so I don’t think it was out of gas I think my float is broken. Ran the boat all summer with no issues until today

Cjp13021

Seaman Apprentice
Anybody know how big the gas tank in this boat is ? I mean I guess it could of been running out of gas …but what doesn’t make sense to me about that is I rant it for 30-40 minutes at 8-9 mph and it was fine…over 10 is when it would try to stall or bog down

Cjp13021

Seaman Apprentice
Could be a spun hub in the prop ? Gonna check that tomorrow . Anyone know if the exhaust flap is a necessity on these units ? Worst case scenario if I don’t replace it ?

Fun Times

Staff member
Anybody know how big the gas tank in this boat is ? I mean I guess it could of been running out of gas …but what doesn’t make sense to me about that is I rant it for 30-40 minutes at 8-9 mph and it was fine…over 10 is when it would try to stall or bog down
Is the boat size 19.5 ft ?
If yes then either 28 or 30 gallons.
Re-see post number 2 on the flap... Not totally needed but safer to have it in place in my opinion of boat use.

Maybe something caught up behind the prop...There may be a fishing line cutter installed behind the prop.

Cjp13021

Seaman Apprentice
Is the boat size 19.5 ft ?
If yes then either 28 or 30 gallons.
Re-see post number 2 on the flap... Not totally needed but safer to have it in place in my opinion of boat use.

Maybe something caught up behind the prop...There may be a fishing line cutter installed behind the prop.
The boat is a 23 foot capri cuddy

Donald0039

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not much gas in the tank? Gas tank pickup clogged. Antisiphon valve on gas tank. Clogged fuel filter. Does not sound like a spun hub.

Fuel pump failing.

Run off a test tank.

Cjp13021

Seaman Apprentice
Not much gas in the tank? Gas tank pickup clogged. Antisiphon valve on gas tank. Clogged fuel filter. Does not sound like a spun hub.

Fuel pump failing.

Run off a test tank.
Sounds like a fuel problem to you? Know how big the tank on a 23 foot 84 bayliner capri cuddy is?

kenny nunez

Captain
The tried and true best way to locate the source of the fuel delivery is with a 6 gallon outboard tank and bypassing the boat tank. If the engine straightens up then the tank is where to look. If not then start checking fuel pressure and any filters before the pump. The carburetors are easy to service just be sure to have a genuine Volvo service manual.
Hopefully there is a removable cover over the tank sending unit so that it can be removed and the suction tube inner screen can be removed.

Cjp13021

Seaman Apprentice
The tried and true best way to locate the source of the fuel delivery is with a 6 gallon outboard tank and bypassing the boat tank. If the engine straightens up then the tank is where to look. If not then start checking fuel pressure and any filters before the pump. The carburetors are easy to service just be sure to have a genuine Volvo service manual.
Hopefully there is a removable cover over the tank sending unit so that it can be removed and the suction tube inner screen can be removed.
Pretty sure my gas gauge was correct and I was just running on fumes . Just didn’t make sense that I burned 10 gallons that quickly . Never ran out of gas in her didn’t know how it sounded on a boat. Now I have another problem, I drained all the water out of the freshwater cooking system, now it’s overheating, possibly because I don’t have the exhaust flap on to keep the pressure ? Or do I just need to reprime the system? I’d rather not pull the water intake snout and water pump unless I have to. Guess it could be clogged in the impeller. Anyways thanks for the help boys.