help trying to identify this model of boat

matt4123

Cadet
Hi all, been looking for a new toy and found this on craigslist for $1000, I am going tomorrow afternoon to look at and hopefully buy this boat. Just wanted the expertise of the pros on here on a few things (this will be my first boat, but I am an automotive and heavy diesel technician so I am pretty well rounded mechanically) the guy says it starts right up and runs just needs an interior paint and a good cleaning #1 what model bayliner does it look like to you guys? #2 common problem areas of the hull/motor? I believe it is a force 125 2 stroke motor just from the pics but not 100% sure. With that being ssid ; besides the obvious things such as condition of the hull, transom, interior, and motor. What else should I be looking for as before handing over the cash? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Matt

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
not sure of the model but the wood floor concerns me probably overlayed over old to cover up soft spots (rot) down below. Motor is OK - if it's lasted this long it should run for a bit more - they are very easy motors to work on, gotta search a bit for parts.

rj

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
If you're looking for a turn key boat, this one seems more like, work in progress. For $1K you don't get much in the speed boat world. Force motors are no longer around, parts can be tough, mechanics maybe are tough too. I'd go over the floor, stringers and transom area really well, to ensure there is no major rot. Boats of this age are perfect suspects for all of the above. Good luck

southkogs

Staff member
I think I'd pass altogether. Too many red flags that it's a boat you spend more time workin' on than runnin'. Assuming you're buying a boat primarily for fishing, in the $1k range I'd look for a 14' - 16' aluminum with a reasonable Johnson or Evinrude on back. Won't be a rocket, but it'll be reliable.

kjsAZ

Chief Petty Officer
yep, that's from the time period where bayliner tried to make their name for the lousiest workmanship. Most likely all stringers and the transom are rotten away. Would be a nice project boat if you can get it for $100 and have a lot of time at hand.....