HELP!! Transom suggestions??

jones56

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought a 89 sea ray seville inboard 4.3 v6( runs great). I am totally new to boats and I thought I got a great deal on it because all I thought it needed was a good cleaning and some vinyl work. After having it for a week or so I have noticed my transom is probably bad. The fiberglass on the inside of hull moves some when I push on it and it crackles. The bottom bolts of the out drive are loose. WHAT DO I DO??? What happens if I try and use the boat this summer without repairing it? How long does it take to repair a transom?
Thanks in advance guys!!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: HELP!! Transom suggestions??

Transoms take from days to years! It depends on what else is wrong, how handy you are and the method used....

Take some time and read the sticky threads at the top of the forum. They will work as a good primer for you.

jones56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can fix pretty much anything,(never worked on a boat though)..lol. What can happen to the boat if i use it this summer with transom the way it is?

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You might just cause more damage but it sounds pretty bad.

Think of the safety of those around You and yourself.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

.....woah.......nope.....when you check a transom........here is what you do....

you have an i/o motor....(inboard/outoboard) that means the transom is 2 ins thick.........take a drill bit......and place tape around the shaft of the bit at 1 3/4 inches from the tip.
this will give you a depth gauge (crude...but it works....just dont drill up to the tape.....rot will be all thru the wood if its there at all....so dont worry about the last 1/4 inch of wood next to the hull skin)

from the inside of the transom......drill holes up to your tape.....drill one near your garboard drain....and below any place where there is screw in the transom. that means toe hooks.,....speedo.....any place someone has drilled onto the transom....take a core sample from under that spot..
any hole that you drill....fill and seal with 3m 5200.

now....lets take a look at the wood shavings that come off your drill bit.......are they wet?....did the drill bit just go thru the layer of fiberglass (on the inside of the hull) and then punch thru thin air to the hull? look for coloring of the wood as well as wet. if its rot....it must come out.

This is straight from oops.

jones56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Gosh, maybe I should just sell it. It seems like alot of work. I was hoping since I only paid $1,600 for it me and my family could get a summer or two out of it.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Gosh, maybe I should just sell it. It seems like alot of work. I was hoping since I only paid $1,600 for it me and my family could get a summer or two out of it.

Only you can make that decision, but we are here to help if you decide to move forward with the repairs...