Help!!! Rebult 302 won't fire off.

Aloysius

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Help!!! Rebult 302 won't fire off.

Crossover on a carb is usually 1500-2000 rpms, depending on the float level and air correction jetting. You do have the idle mixture screws rough adjusted out 1 1/2 turns?

Jim Marshall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don,

The firing order is fine now. I assumed that it was a chevy order (alternative banks starting with the forward banks). It is the first Ford I have worked on (numbered sequentially front to back, the passenger side starting with one).

It is the 351 firing order (351 heads) as listed on the valve covers. It could have been the 302 order but I checked it out with the rebuilder to see which one he put in it.

That cured the ignition problem and the engine seems to run fine and steadily above 1500 to 2000 rpm but not below. This is "the next problem".

Regarding the manuals, I started with a Clymer manual which wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. I bought another manual and it has everything. BTW what is with this 4-Share thing?

Jim

Jim

Jim Marshall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Aloysius:

Thanks for the info. That sounds right about where it is happening, at that crossover point. I will be tied up for the next five to six days but my next approach is to:

1. Check vacuum at the intake manifold.

2. If it is low I will look for leaks.

3. Check to make sure the idle passages are clear.

Getting closer.

Jim

rickryder

Commander

You can try taking a shop rag and covering the carb and see if it stalls out or picks up rpm that will give you an idea if you have a vacume leak....finding it is another thing.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

I dont think you set the valves they ajust themselves

Aloysius

Chief Petty Officer

4-share? Does this relate to a dual plane intake manifold?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

BTW what is with this 4-Share thing?

4-share? Does this relate to a dual plane intake manifold?

It's the OEM Service manuals you can download. That is why I posted "here is what you needed a long time ago....... The OEM service manual for your engine." then I posted the links to the manuals.

Jim Marshall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Off for a week of vacation (boatless, that is). My wife said I needed a disposition change. Ordered new vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, and timing light as mine were shot. Will get back to you all.

Thanks,

Jim

Aloysius

Chief Petty Officer

Most 302's don't have a valve adjustment..you run the nut down tight on the stud. Hydraulic lifters.