Help pumping oil out of engine

andrewterri

Chief Petty Officer
I started the 300 hour maintenance and it is not going well. The oil pump tube will not make the turns to get into the pan. I went to remove filter since I was about to lose my patience with the oil pump tube and the filter was put so tight that i am bending the remote filter bracket trying to get it off. So ya, having a great day. I found old threads about stuck filters so if it crushes anymore i will cut the can until only the base is exposed than work with that. The question I have that the mercruiser diagram does not show is can i run the oil pump tube down one of the remote filter lines? Is there any type of filter on the end of one of those lines. I suspect the (filtered side) line goes into the engine someone but the pickup line should come from the oil pan correct? Does anyone know if i can just run the hose down it?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Would not worry if any oil remains in the lines. To remove those stuck on filters for need to heat the base of the filter to soften/melt the rubber sealing ring. No amount of brute force will do anything but bend or break filter wrenches or brackets
For the oil simply screw onto the threaded fitting or clamp a hose to the end of the dipstick

wrench 3

Commander
Just an added note. A standard garden hose fitting will thread onto the dipstick tube. Maybe you could adapt one of those to the end of your extractor pump hose.

andrewterri

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you guys for responding. Bt I am talking about running the extractor hose down the remote filter lines to get access to the oil pan so i can pump out the oil. I have ran the extractor hose down the dip stick tube but can not get to the bottom of the pan. I have been pumping and messing with the hose for over an hour and only gotten a half quart out. I keep sucking air because the extractor hose can not get deep enough. I am also not sure what you are saying when you say "For the oil simply screw onto the threaded fitting or clamp a hose to the end of the dipstick"

andrewterri

Chief Petty Officer
Any good ways to heat the filter base beside putting a torch on it. Mixing flames and petroleum seems like a good way to have a bad day.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The remote oil lines go to an adapter where the oil filter would be installed in a non-remote set-up. You won't suck out a drop of oil from the pan because the you have to snake through the oil pump and pickup. The other line feeds oil to the motor's rotating assembly, so that won't work either.

Does the dipstick tube plug into the block or the oil pan?

Please tell us what M/C motor you're working on. In fact you should add it to your signature block so we don't have to search through your threads. You can get faster answers then.

wrench 3

Commander
At the top end of the tube were the dipstick goes in there is a flange about 3/4" down that has a thread on the outside of it. It is there to connect the pump onto to change the oil. Bt was saying that you could also just clamp a hose to the 3/4" of tube above the flange.
Neither of the lines attached to the remote filter go directly to the oil pan.
If you're going to heat the filter flange, I'd tare the can off of the filter and remove all of the filter material first. An electric heat gun for stripping paint should be sufficient to fry the gasket.

andrewterri

Chief Petty Officer
GA_Boater I have tried to add it to my signature lines and i guess im to computer illiterate. My serial number is 2A176701. Its a 2014 4.3 mpi ect. Just got out from under the motor with a mirror and it looks like it is going into the bottom of the pan. I am warming the oven up to put the extractor tube in it to warm ir and soften it up to see if that helps it make the turns. The dip stick tube looks like a pretzel and i get way the actual dip stick is make of cable instead of the normal solid flat metal. How does the dip stick work? does oil fill the tube and the dip stick goes into that oil? The dip stick can not enter the pan completely with the design i have. If i can figure out how the dip stick gets to the pan I might be able to figure out why my hose cant. This should be simple. My goodness it is changing oil not preforming surgery!!!

andrewterri

Chief Petty Officer
Wrench 3- I get what your taking about with the adapter on the dip stick tube. My little pump is not where near powerful enough to attach it to the adapter and vacuum it out. Starting to get why the dealers wanted $200 to change 3.5 quarts of oil.

thumpar

Admiral
The dipstick tube is made to be used to suck the oil out. Instead of trying to get to the bottom of it just suck from the top like others are telling you to do. Those threads are there to be able to attach to with a pump.

thumpar

Admiral
Wrench 3- I get what your taking about with the adapter on the dip stick tube. My little pump is not where near powerful enough to attach it to the adapter and vacuum it out. Starting to get why the dealers wanted $200 to change 3.5 quarts of oil.

If it is not powerful enough to pump from the top then how do you expect it to be powerful enough to suck from the bottom? Its the same distance. If anything putting a tube down the tube is just more restriction.

andrewterri

Chief Petty Officer
Thumpar- if i could use that adapter I would. The pump i got has the small hose to fit down the dip stick tube. I might have to buy a good pump that is made to pump that way. Hopefully heating this hose to make it more flexable will work. I will get a heat gun tomorrow and try to get the filter off.

thumpar

Admiral
I understand what you have. Get a hose that fits over yours and at the other end fits over the end of the dipstick tube. You don't have to screw to the threads as long as you seal to the top of the tube.

andrewterri

Chief Petty Officer
Thumpar, i will try to get a bigger hose and try it. Thank you for helping. I just re-read your post and the reason i thought it would work from the bottom is the hose is a smaller diameter than the dip stick tube so the pump would have to move less volume requiring less vacuum. If my pump wont do it i am buying a good one. This pump was only 18 dollars. I am draining the gear lube and it is like molasses coming out. The garage is 55 degrees so i dont think that is helping me pump oil.

thumpar

Admiral
Normally you would run the engine before sucking the oil out to help.

andrewterri

Chief Petty Officer
running the engine was the plan but i could not do it today and didnt think it would be this hard. this is the first time i have tried to pump out engine oil. With the 3.0 we had we were able to use the drain plug. Now that i have crushed the filter on the top i can not start it to warm up the oil. i am going to try and rig up the pump the way you guys suggested. if it does not work i will have to spend the 60 dollars and order a new pump. Thank you guys for the help and quick response.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
i thought it would work from the bottom is the hose is a smaller diameter than the dip stick tube so the pump would have to move less volume requiring less vacuum.

It is actually the opposite. First of all, your volume you have to pump is fixed. It is the amount of oil you need to remove. Imagine sucking a chocolate shake with two straws. One being a tiny cocktail straw, the other being an oversized jumbo straw. Which do you think will be easier? Your vacuum pump is no different. I've rarely seen one work well when using the tiny tube inside of the dipstick. Attach it to the dipstick tube itself and it is WAY, WAY easier!

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I use a $25 small wet-dry vac from Wallyworld. I have duct-taped a 6’ length of garden hose to the vac hose, and the garden hose screws onto the dipstick tube. Works like a charm, much better than the expensive hand pump extractor I used before.

andrewterri

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you guys for the clarification. I have a section of hose here. I am going to get ride of the tiny dip stick hose and use a large one and attach it to the garden hose section.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thumpar- if i could use that adapter I would. The pump i got has the small hose to fit down the dip stick tube. I might have to buy a good pump that is made to pump that way. Hopefully heating this hose to make it more flexable will work. I will get a heat gun tomorrow and try to get the filter off.

your trying to change oil with a cheap pump. it wont work.

a good powered pump will run you about $125 or so. then all you do is screw it onto the top of the dipstick and turn it on.

get a good pump, or simply use the drain hose thru the transom plug that is already attached to your motor. it should be what your transom plug is connected to with a small lanyard.