Help pricing Merc 850 powerhead

MercMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've been wrapped up in rebuilding my 850. I found a powerhead in working condition which is a better option than boring.<br /><br />Can anyone suggest pricing?<br /><br />it's a 1973 merc 850 thunderbolt. No lower unit (just mounts and the drive shaft housing)<br /><br />I'm Canadian, so it would help if you mention your currency.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help pricing Merc 850 powerhead

Mark, You can as a professional rebuilder for a quote, use that as a reference point. iBoats does this kind of work, as does some others.

MercMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Locally A reman with 90 days warranty goes $2500. I figure not rebuilt and no warranty = 1/2 that. then about %75 of that for the unknown condition of internal parts even after running it with muffs on. Assuming good water and fuel pressure and even compression in all four. We'll not likely do a water test.<br /><br />I come out to about $950 max, best case scenario, everything is in perfect condition and I loose all the bartering (which I don't intend to do). I would think bidding starts at $500 and ends up in between.<br /><br />Sound right?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Mark, I purchased a rebuilt inline 6 powerhead through iBoat this spring. It was on sale for $1600 US and had brand new pistons, bearings and bored cylinders. It also has a 15 month warranty. I would think an Merc 850 (inline 4) would be 2/3 of that price($1075 US), with the same features. Also, you may find rebuilders who use less new parts and are therefore cheaper. Of course if you go with used or "lightly" rebuilt, it can be significantly cheaper (the $500 you quote), but quality is hard to judge.