HELP Please...Who sells a ski tower/small wake tower for Pontoons ?

The Woo Woo Kid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys. Anybody sell towers for pontoons ? I'm looking for the ones that mount around the motor- NOT the high wakeboard full arches.

I just got a SunTracker 22 Regency that has a 135 Optimizer on 26 inch toons with lifting strakes. We would like a tow tower but they're hard to find...any ideas ?

SunTracker does offer one @ $800 but would like some other options.

ALSO---- Why do some companies SOMETIMES advise against tubing from these " mini " towers ? Are those not strong enough for tubing ? Ok for skiing but not strong enough or advisable for tubing ?

Could tubing from one damage the boat's floor ?

Please help and thanks in advance !

TurboM700

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: HELP Please...Who sells a ski tower/small wake tower for Pontoons ?

Here is a drawing of what I will be making for my pontoon. It will be wake board tower that will have 4 speakers and also be a 8'x10' bimini top that will fold in half. (here is my boat fyi http://forums.iboats.com/completed-boat-projects/pontoon-conversion-inboard-outboard-573089.html)

The entire thing will lay down to the back of the boat during trailer or going under low bridges between lakes.

I'm just finishing up polishing the pontoons and under skinning the boat then I will be moving onto this.

Also I believe they dont want you to tube behind them as the tube can actually pick up and start to fly. Granted this isnt going to happen behind most pontoons. I can tell you a 6ft tube behind a wakeboard boat at full song will fly and it hurts bad when (not if) you crash. :)

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Google is your friend.

The Woo Woo Kid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Google ? All I get are full size, high arched full on wakeboard towers,,,,the kind that mount amidships and most of those are for V-hull boats.

TurboM700

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are you looking for a tower of just a ski pole?

How tall do you want it to be?

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Usually the boat manufacturer is the only one that will make it specifically for your boat, yes it is a crying shame what they want for them. I know for my boat, Voyager wants $750. That being said I had a buddy weld one up and I took it down for powder coating and I would like to say it ran me about $350 - $400 to go that route. There is also this one ;
Amazon.com: WakeWorks F250 Pontoon Wakeboard Tower: Sports & Outdoors
Available at amazon, I know it is not what you are wanting, but you might want to consider it.
On the towing issue, I personally had an issue a few summers back where the "Monster " tube we had flipped over when the kids went out and landed with the open part of the towable (where the kids would sit) upside down and acted as a sea anchor, and it jerked the boat and bent the original tow bar that we home built. Since then we don't use any open cockpit or inner tube type towable behind the boat.

Lurch77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As Okieboatguy mentioned, tubes cause a lot more stress and drag than skis. A tube that submarines can cause significant damage to a ski pole and the surface it is mounted too. This is why they don't recommend it.

rogerwa

Commander

The mfg that made my boat, TMC Pontoons, has one available for the toons they make that uses square tubing that attaches to the cross members, comes out by the transom and goes up and over the motor, at the top there is a tow ring. They sell this as a kit for $295. You may see if they could customize one for your application.

Here is their site - www.pontonfactory.com Under the photos link there is pic with one of these towbars..

Mike is the owner and usually answers all the e-mails. He is not the most talkative guy but you might give it a shot..

Old Screwball

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't google search for ski TOWER, look for ski pylon or pole. Lots come up!

Good Luck

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

google is not your friend it spy's on you.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Are you talking about a ski tow bar like this?

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

IMG_0314.jpg

Would something like this fit your bill? I built this one myself and it's worked out for everything from tubing to wakeboarding. I know at one point I had several people interested in buying one, but really never had the time to commit to such a project.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Every pontoon manufacturer will offer this type of tow bar. I'm wondering why the OP can't get one from his manufacturer.

Out of curiosity I went to www.suntrackerboats.com to see if they offered a tow bar. I got this message HTTP Status 503 - Request timed out waiting to execute

Lurch77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Out of curiosity I went to www.suntrackerboats.com to see if they offered a tow bar. I got this message HTTP Status 503 - Request timed out waiting to execute

Yeah they are having some website issue today. All Tracker Marine websites, along with parent company Bass Pro Shops, are down and out right now. But Sun Tracker does offer a "ski tow bar" option for most of their boats. It was in the option lists when I ordered my boat this winter.

The Woo Woo Kid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow. Lots of good input ! Thanks !

Yea, suntracker does offer one for my toon, just wondered what else is available, different designs/price wise.

Roger, I followed that link, but didn't find their ski tower. ?????

JJ, yea something like that, except my swim platform just goes straight across in front of the motor? Is your's steel ?

I hear you guys who voice concerns over possible damage. If I do install one, I'ld be really careful, not too fast and definitely no tubes with a " interior pocket " that could catch like a sea anchor.

If I do install one, I may even use a short piece of lower strength rope to attach the tow rope to the tower with....a sort of break-away set up.

Old Screw....Hehehe.... I'll go google pylons !

If I do install one, I may even use a short piece of lower strength rope to attach the tow rope to the tower with....a sort of break-away set up.

I would suggest against that. Ropes made for tubing are designed with a certain amount of stretch in them and when they break they snap back with alot of force and could injure your rider.

Imagine the pain you have felt if you have been hit with fishing line when it breaks and snaps back then imagine the force that a typical 3/8" rope designed for tubing would have.

jjohnson120

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah mine is just made of steal, nothing fancy we just had the tubing laying around, so threw it with some angle iron, and boom, had that. I had intended to take it off, clean the welds and powdercoat it, just never got around too it.