Help PLEASE! ! Breather hose is stalling engine

mikomos

Cadet
1988 volvo penta, 305 2 barrel rochester, when i remove breathers from spark arrestor engine runs perfect, when i connect it idles horrible and dies, had carb. Rebuilt, compression checkeck (perfect 165 psi )good had gas in oil from carb i assume, changed oil still breather hoses connected chokes engine, dont want to leave them off to dangerous, no oil blowby, any ideas? ?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Help PLEASE! ! Breather hose is stalling engine

For one thing, keep an eye on your oil level, typically a lot of gas in the oil is caused by a defective fuel pump leaking gas into the engines oil pan.

Is your flame arrestor clean? A picture of the flame arrestor would be handy, with a picture of how the hoses hook to it.

mikomos

Cadet

For one thing, keep an eye on your oil level, typically a lot of gas in the oil is caused by a defective fuel pump leaking gas into the engines oil pan.

Is your flame arrestor clean? A picture of the flame arrestor would be handy, with a picture of how the hoses hook to it.

Flame arrestor is clean, trying to figure out attaching a pic. Thank you

Attachments

• 2012-11-01_16-39-58_831.jpg
    2012-11-01_16-39-58_831.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 0

mikomos

Cadet

Can a fuel pump really leak into oil? Pump has an overflow hose to spark arrestor

Don S

Not sure how you got the picture below the line like that, but here is how it's normally done. How to Post Pictures - The Basics - Page 1 - 468676

Have no idea why your engine goes silly when you plug those hoses onto the flame arrestor, it's like slipping the hose over a piece of open pipe about a half inch long. Nothing there to restrict it or anything else.

mikomos

Cadet

Im thinking fuel in oil making bad air into carb smelled the oil after tunnkng for an hour smells like gas again i suppose ill change that now, , more money haha all good thanks

Don S

Can a fuel pump really leak into oil? Pump has an overflow hose to spark arrestor

Yes, it happens all the time. It doesn't have to put fuel in that hose, depends on where and what is leaking in the pump.

bad air into carb smelled the oil after tunnkng for an hour smells like gas again

Man! after tunnkng for an hour, no wonder you have problems. :p :p

mikomos

Cadet

Running engine for an hour ...

Don S

Running engine for an hour ...

I figured as much, my fingers loose track of the keyboard all the time.

Basically, fix the known problems first. They could very well be the cause of other weird problems.

mikomos

Cadet

Thank You mr.Don S., another question for anyone, is there a decent affordable injection system for an old volvo penta style,need better reliability? ? I have comercial boats, but dont really want to repower yet

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Does the breather suck or blow? Does this happen under load?

mikomos

Cadet

The breather blows at all rpm range, slightly at idle

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Are the carb mounting bolts tight?

mikomos

Cadet

Solved it, fuel pump diafram was trashed pump was leaking into crankcase, crazy thing the clear safety tube never had gas going up it to the carb, some safety feat thank you all! !!!!!!!