Help or I'm gonna sink my boat!

Beernutz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Help or I'm gonna sink my boat!

If you rule out fuel starvation, I have one more occult (ya like that word?) problem suggestion. Gonna reach way back and try to pull a rabbit out of a hat with this one, so bear with me.<br /><br />Inside your distributor, you'll find your breaker points. The wire that connects them to the coil is required to flex inside the distributor each time the breaker plate advances and returns. Over a period of years (30 in your case), this wire ("pigtail") can fatigue and break. The problem is that the fracture occurs inside the pigtail insulation, and is not visible (occult). It causes an intermittent failure mode that can drive ya nutz. Sometimes it'll run fine. Others, it will only run at low RPM's, until the breaker plate starts to advance, and tugs on it.<br /><br />Check for continuity across this wire with your VOM or test light. If it's good, deflect the pigtail with moderate pressure using a screwdriver, and see if the circuit breaks. If it does, replace the wire. Sometimes there's enough wire that you can pull some thru the distributor grommet, and solder on a new terminal end. If you replace it, use the correct wire. Normal copper wire won't stand up to the fatigue for any length of time at all.<br /><br />It's a longshot, but take a look, before you sink 'er.

fone_man

Senior Chief Petty Officer

So I see we haven't made a man-made reef out of it yet... I am watching post & haven't posted anything on a Volvo/Penta since ODDD1 gave me grief over my last post!!!<br /><br />Keep us posted.... I'ma watchin'!!!<br /> :D

CHARGER 151

Cadet

Hey everyone,<br /><br />Thanks a whole lot for all of the advice. Since I'm a half ass shade tree mechanic at best, I think I'm going to take her to a marine shop to be looked at. Although, I may try the portable gas tank thing first. I figure that could be a cheap solution worth trying before spending $$$ at the shop.<br /><br />As far as the pigtail wire in the distributer, that's a little over my head. I am, however, going to print out all of these great ideas to what the cause of my problem could be and take them with me to the marine shop. Perhaps if these suggestions help to point a technician in the right direction it may save me a few dollars of diagnostic time.<br /><br />Unfortunately, there aren't too many mechanics in the Dallas area that will work on an engine as old as mine. I did find one though, and his shop comes highly reccomended. He's backed up about two weeks, so it may be a while before I can let ya'll know what the source of the problem was.<br /><br />I'll try the gas tank thing this weekend. If it doesn't work I'll let you guys know in a couple of weeks what the problem was.<br /><br />Thanks again for everyone's help!

Olson

Cadet

CHARGER 151,<br />Have you considered the intake manifold (the part between the base of the carburetors and engine block)? Heat causes expansion of parts (not visible to the eye). There may be a vacuum leak created between the intake manifold and engine block and/or the intake manifold and base of the carbs. when it heats up, causing your problem. You may want to get it checked out.

tjthorson

Seaman

If if runs great then dies out like you shut it off, it doesn't sound like fuel. It would begin sputtering and backfiring as the carbs drain down and lean out.<br /><br />This sounds electrical as many have said. Don't know too much about your setup, but I assume its a Points/condenser, with coil setup?<br /><br />I have seen MANY times on small engines and cars where there is a small break in a wire in the coil. As the coil heats up, things expand and the break in the wire spreads apart. If it is not too expensive, I would bring along a spare coil, and you should change the points/condenser just for kicks.<br /><br />If those are too pricey, get a small spark tester and use it inline while the motor is running. It should be real apparent if the spark is cutting out. Watch out for gas fumes while you do this. Just leave the cover off. Good luck!

CHARGER 151

Cadet

Again, thanks everyone for all of the great ideas. <br /><br />As far as the coil goes, I just put a brand spanking new one in there last week. The very first time I took her out after putting a new coil on the same thing happened as in the previous weeks. I've have checked the points and they are opening as they should. I haven't tied the condensor yet, but I think I'm just going to turn this one over to the marine shop. <br /><br />I'm dropping it off tomorrow and should have an answer in a couple of weeks. I'll keep you guys posted.<br /><br />Thanks!

Beernutz

Petty Officer 1st Class

You got a shade tree?!?<br />I'm jealous.<br />I want a shade tree.

CHARGER 151

Cadet

Beer Nutz,<br /><br />I'll make you a deal. You come to Dallas and fix my boat and I'll uproot one of my shade trees and send it to Florida. Sound like a deal?<br /><br />Charger 151

hellrais56

Recruit

have you check to see if you have water going into any of your cylinders

Beernutz

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey, Charger, forget all that stuff about the breaker points pigtail. My brother just reminded me that marine engines don't use vacuum advance mechanisms, and, therefore, have stationary breaker plates. Guess I've been hooked on outboards too long.<br /><br />Before I come out there to pick up my tree, I'd like to leave you with one more suggestion. There should be a ballast resistor in the circuit between the switch and the coil. This reduces the running current to the coil. There is also a wire from the starter solenoid that bypasses the resistor while the starter is engaged, allowing for a hotter spark while starting. Usually, when this resistor fails, an engine will run only while the starter in engaged, and quit when you release the key. One of two other situations may also exist:<br /><br />1. The resistor can partially fail, wherein it opens up when it gets hot, breaking the circuit.<br /><br />2. The resistor may have failed previously, and someone has bypassed it permanently, or removed it from the circuit. In either case, the coil will overheat and breakdown due to the continuous higher current. Over a longer period of time, the coil can be damaged and fail completely.