Help on brand of boat

mark_gober

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey everyone, I've got a question. My twin brother and I recently acquired my grandfather's old 1958 aluminum fishing boat. It has been told to us that it was "fleet" brand boat. It does have the manufacturing data on the transom of 31558. We can see the remnants on the sides of where the original decals went, but all you can make out is the outline of the decal...no details.

I have looked high and low on the internet and I can find no references whatsoever for "fleet" brands of aluminum boats. Has anyone else ever heard of this brand? I'm including a picture of the outline of the decal in case it looks familiar to anyone. My brother took the picture and he left out part of it. If the picture was wider, there is a circle to the left of the part that is shown. I hope this makes sense.

Mark

P.S. I did include a picture that shows part of the circle, but the quality of the pictures isn't great. They were taken with a camera phone. I hope this jars something loose with someone.

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Help on brand of boat

Mark, the number you have is a serial number, the manufacturer who is long gone, was the only ones with a list. hull id numbers were not required until 1972. a complete picture of the boat would help more than what you posted. but remember boat builders copied each other, so there are many boats that look alike, unless they had something very specific.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant
Re: Help on brand of boat

I thought "fleet" boats were those manufactured for private labeling, like "Sea King" for Montgomery Ward, "Kingfisher" for Sears, etc.

As far as the real manufacturer, someone more knowledgeable than I would have to put forth an opinion.