Help needed--1802

Heyspike

Recruit
Hello all, I just looked at a 1802 WA. It is a 2002 with very little hours. Some concerns: Both eyes on the transom had rust on them.(the bolts) Also the swim platform needed to be resealed. In the Cuddy, there is a small area near the step, it had a bilge pump in there? Is that stock or an add on?
He asking 13900.00. Mercury 125 Saltwater. low hours, looked clean.
Thanks
John

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Help needed--1802

Re: used boat in general.

1) With the OB tilted up about 1/2 way, lift up and press down on the lower end. See if the transom flexes. Solid, OK. Flexing, cracks around the motor mount, you have a bad transom. Tap the transom with the plastic end of a screw driver. List for hollow spots around the fasteners.

2) Walk all over the boat, using your feet to feel for soft spots in the deck. These are hard to fix, so, be thorough.

3) Most of the value of the boat is in the engine. Get a "Certified" Mercury mechanic to check the motor over thoroughly.

4) Water in the cuddy can come from leaky hatches, leaking stanchion bases, leaking rub railings. Water in the cuddy will destroy the wiring up behind the dash, the flooring, cushions, head liner etc etc. Check it out.

5) Wiring. See if it's been hacked or if it appears clean, neat and orderly. Everything should work. Look at the wiring back by the batteries and engine.

6) CLimb under the boat and look for damage. I looked at an Arima last week that had a coffee can sized hole in the bottom that had been crudely fixed with epoxy. (!)

7) Check the condition of the trailer brakes, wiring, lights. High points for Galvy. Painted steel will need replacing in a few years.

As time goes on, I'm less and less willing to take on a boat with problems, especially with the LARGE inventory of used ones around.

springhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In the Cuddy, there is a small area near the step, it had a bilge pump in there? Is that stock or an add on?
stock item

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Most of the Trophy's have a pump below the cuddy deck. I don't remember clearly if this is the case with the 1802. I would have to see a picture.

Some of the Trophy's will sit in the water bow down a bit, making for the the rain water to run forward to the cuddy. The older 2160s were famous for this. The forward pump is very important.

rob711

Petty Officer 1st Class

my 2006 1802 has 2 bilge pumps one in the cuddy under the step and one in the bilge toward the back of the boat..those are stock...nothing should really be rusting since all the hardware SHOULD be stainless steel..i'm really curious about the swim platform....i don't have one and want to add one..check if its through bolted..i cant see how u could get to the bolts on the lower brackets...if he just used lag bolts and there not sealed i'd bet the transom had some water penetration...not good!! all in all i'm happy with my 1802
rob

LukeB

Cadet

I don't have a bilge pump in my cuddy. I have a 2000 1802.