Help, My walk through windshield will barely close

jasonmd13

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just bought my first ski boat. It is a 1996 rinker bowrider ski boat. It is in good shape, but the window when i try to close it over laps over an inch. I can force it over to close. I seen on some post it may have sagged, but it is the same overage on the top and bottom of the window. I tried to move the bracing arms, but it didnt change anything. Is there any other adjustments on the window to move it over?

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Help, My walk thur windshield will barly close

Welcome aboard, Jason :D

You posted this in the wrong forum, but I'm sure a moderator will move it to the correct location.

You say there is sagging - is there any wood supporting the consoles? When I got my boat, there was wood under there that had rotted away and was causing the sag. Take a look at the link in my signature and on the last page you can see how I fixed it with a 2x4 to get the console sup to the proper height - then I adjusted the bracing arms so that it would close easily.

Hope that helps. Posting a pic of your rig would be helpful too.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

welcome to iboats

im betting there is other issues.

no there are no adjustments per sae....

however under the dash there are bolts that hold the windsheild down.....they can be un done a bit and the windsheild moved,

however usually this is a hull collapsing issue

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

I had that problem and shimmed up the rear deck support on the hinge side by about 3/4". It's perfect now!

jasonmd13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the help, I'll try the shim. I'll have to find the supports. I was thinking, it might not be a sag probelm because the top of the window and the bottom is equal distance. I seen somewhere that a boat on the trailer might cause such probelms, and be ok once in the water. I only had this one in the water once and didnt check it then.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

If your deck and internal bilge structures (stringers and bulkheads) are strong and dry your "WT" should open and close the same on the trailer or the water.

At 15 yrs. old I would venture to say that your boat is weakening from age and exposure to the elements. The quick fixes mentioned above will work for a while... but there will come a time in the not too distant future for your boat to be made "new" again.

Go to a boat dealer or boat show in your area and see how the "WTs" open and close on a new boat that is on the trailer.

Mike Lammert

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It sounds like you have a structural problem elsewhere causing this problem, probably wood rot, because I imagine it closed normally at one point...I'd look for tell tale signs of wood rot...spongy-ness in the deck, tannin stains (leaching out of the wood). Anyhow, whatever the finding, it can all be fixed with a little love, time and dedication! The guys on this forum can help you through, as well as a little reading and research around the web. Good luck with it!

Friscoboater

Captain

My boat did the same thing. Check out my sea ray thread to see what I had to do to fix it. it is perfect now... :D

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

My boat did the same thing. Check out my sea ray thread to see what I had to do to fix it. it is perfect now... :D

You could've saved yourself a lot of time and trouble with a couple of shims.;):rolleyes:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hi jasonmd13,
Me again, just noticed that you mentioned the pass through again on your other thread...

Just a suggestion, but I would keep all of your questions related to the same boat under one continuous thread...

First of all, it will make it easier to keep track of what you have going on and make it a lot easier for everyone involved to be able to help you out with your concerns...

I am nobody here, just a noob, but I think this is a good idea...just keeps things in order...

Like friscoboater mentioned, all you have to do to fix that pesky windsheild problem is read through his thread for his very simple and quick solution...:D

regards,
GT1M

jasonmd13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok, sorry, first time, thought it was better to list it under two different probelms. I know better from now on. Friscoboater problems will give me nightmares tonight. His boat is awesome now, but I cant do all that work.

jasonmd13

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I found the problem, in case someone else has this issue. In the bow of my boat, the fiberglass goes all the way to the floor and covers it too. Well, under that fiberglass, there was a 1/4 piece of plywood covered in carpet. It was rotten, the floor under it was fine. I pulled out this piece and cut and place a new treated piece . Closes great now. Thanks everyone