Help! Mercury 1988 V175 WH-34 carbs throttle shaft .015 - .020 play!

C.Reese

Cadet
I have been looking to rebuild my merc carbs on my skeeter SF175 and after taking them off the throttle shaft seems to have too much play. I have looked around for specs on the run out and couldn't find any information. Being a tool & die guy probably has got me a little more nervous as I know air has to be getting in around the shaft/carb guide hole. I can see light around the shaft if i put a flashlight up in throat. All 3 carbs are affected and wondering if this could cause a lean condition?

Am I being too cautious or not? Is Merc crazy putting a brass rotating assembly on Aluminum without a bushing?
There are no bushings to replace as the carbs are casted with the hole already in there. I just hate to use a 100.00 rebuild kit x 3 with air entering the throttle shaft!!??

Dukedog

Captain
first thing is tha wh's very, very seldom need tha high dollar "rebuild kit".... all thats usually necessary is a good cleanin' and "all new gaskets" ,'bout 7 bucks a carb, inside and out (which are tha same with all wh series).. 'bout only difference in tha different wh series will be venturi opening and jettin' size.. emulsion tubes are slighty different in some also.. none of this will come inta play with justa "rebuild".. like said a real good cleanin' and all new gaskets will surffice 99% of tha time.... tha throttle shaft "clearance" issue should not come inta play.......

C.Reese

Cadet
Thanks for the info Dukedog. I bought the good rebuild kits already since I cleaned fuel tank, put new lines in and running a racor filter also with the new merc inline filter at first carb. Its a little overkill but I have been stranded out three times so wanted everything like new.

First carb was really bad, 2nd carb a little better and 3rd at bottom the best. First carb has over a 1/32nd play (.040 run out) I will see if I can add the video where u can really get the picture.

Dukedog

Captain
understand.... i've run 'em, back in tha day of my carb hot rods, that were so loose ya might think tha butterflies would swap holes without any problem... if they do give ya problem, ya might be able ta pick up a used set of wh's for next ta nothin' but shafts and/or body might be worse than what ya got..... new would be witch hunt!... sounds like ya got this!.... good luck with it.

C.Reese

Cadet
Here is a pic anyway and you can see the light around the shaft. With your exp/info I think I may go ahead and rebuild them as is. If I have to wait at work and bore all of them and turn shaft smaller to true up journals.. it will be awhile.

Hopefully she will run good as you say. Thanks! I appreciate it.

Attachments

• 20170828_115903.jpg
    20170828_115903.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 0