Help - Mercruiser 454 Bravo III

PhilD

Recruit
Hopefully, someone can point me in the right direction with a little problem. I have a 454 Mercruiser with Bravo III drive and recently I noticed at low rpm (about 1,000 or so) it kind of felt as if it was caught on something (it wasn't but it's the only way I can describe it) and the rpm would drop a 200 or so, then a few seconds later it would rise back up. <br /><br />The problem seem to disappear after I attained cruising speed. <br /><br />Today, it was doing it at cruising speed and dropping 500 or so rpm then a couple of minutes later would rise back up. <br /><br />On the return trip I noticed that it seemed to have a lost a lot speed too. At 4,000 rpm I was only doing 25 knots, when usually I would be doing 32 knots or so. Also, it needed about 3700 rpm to plane, usually about 3000. <br /><br />Before I call in the mechanics is there anything obvious that could be causing this? All oil levels, batteries, etc, are fine. <br /><br />Many thanks for any help.

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Help - Mercruiser 454 Bravo III

Hi Phil,<br />Oil it drive unit should have no metal in it.<br />Fuel filters,tank,fuel pump,and carb. Also the anti-siphon valve on the gas tank could be sticking causing a lean fuel problem.oops<br />almost forgot about the water seperating fuel<br />filter(looks like an oil filter)spin it off<br />and dump it into a glass jar to see if you have water it your fuel.It will look like oil and vinegar salad dressing before you shake it up.<br />good luck...have fun...corm