Help me understand Power Tilt-Trim differences 74-90

Spartans

Seaman
All,

please bear with me here but I'm trying to understand the theory behind the power tilt trim differences running between different model years.... Mainly 1974 through 1990. All feedback welcome as there may be others here who would benefit (or can dispute my findings).

It seems that from about 74-77, OMC had two different types of PTT systems - one that had the lift plate, two cylinders with a single motor/reservoir - and another system (supplied only on larger outboards - 135 hp and up that had a single cylinder, motor and reservoir.

It looks like beginning in 1978, the lift plate system was dropped completely and the other, single cylinder system that was used on the larger pre-78 large hp engines were used on all outboards beginning in 1978 up until 1990. This is as far as I can tell since the manifold part number is the same for all years (1974-1990) and there was a change beginning in 1991.

I heard somewhere that early OMC products that did not get shipped with PTT and were ordered as a dealer option required this add-on product that mounted the cylinders and brackets external to the pivot assembly and clamp.

If I look up an engine - lets say a 1977 evinrude 70 hp, there is no PTT shown on the parts diagram but I know that motors of that era had PTT and it was the lift plate system.

Therefore, I guess my question is two fold:

1. I'm wondering that this lift plate system was an accessory or dealer add because if you wanted to install a newer post-77 PTT system on these outboards you would need to change out the clamp and pivot assembly and incorporate the PTT into the motor?

2. it seems that from parts diagrams that PTT units from 78-90 are all the same since all have the same manifold which fits between the transom brackets. So can these systems be used interchangeably?

Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some of the early ones came from factory with trim / tilt.------The early integral systems came with a 3 wire motor and later ones were a 2 wire motor.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Why ----They had to quickly come up with a system since trim / tilt suddenly became a big seller.-----Then they redesigned it to hide it in between transom brackets.-----Nothing to it and not a mystery at all.

Spartans

Seaman
Why ----They had to quickly come up with a system since trim / tilt suddenly became a big seller.-----Then they redesigned it to hide it in between transom brackets.-----Nothing to it and not a mystery at all.
Great. Exactly what I wanted to know.

Ok - Got another doozey for ya - then you should be able to replace a non functioning obsolete double cylinder system with a newer integrated ptt system - and use any ptt system manufactured from 78-90?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The newer integrated system will likely not fit on 77 and older models.----Unless you change a lot of parts !!!!----Like transom brackets and swivel bracket.