Help me to identify and repair my Starcraft Starchief V

Ironmonger

Cadet
"You can post more then 1 pix per post, all at once via PBs IMG cod" I have no idea what this is and have no idea what the signature thing is you are referring to :(, explain what I need to follow to get to your link to bring me up to speed :), and yes I would like my stuff moved to the SC forum, thank you

Ironmonger

Cadet
Welcome and looking forward to seeing some pix

Follow the Forum link in my signature below and you'll find pix posting help topic

I have no idea how or where the signature is, can you explain better so I can find the link, also, what is PBs Imag Cod? and yes I would like my thread moved to the SC forum :)

jbcurt00

Staff member
Look at the bottom of each of my posts. See all tjat stuff at the bottom about iboats and that I'm a Moderator. Click the blue Forum help link and theres info about pix posting. But you've mostly got that figured out.

The pix you are posting are from your Photobucket (PB) account. The code you are coping from there and pasting here, is an IMG code (i dropped the e in my post you quoted).

Only thing left would be to paste the IMG code from from more then 1 pix onto a single post.

Later, as you tear into and rebuild, it may work better to ask a question about something specific and post a pix of just that in 1 post. But often you'll be posting several pix w each question.

And for now, multiple pix in 1 post makes it easier to see the whole boat all at one. Looks like you've posted most of her at this point, so I'll just move this to the SC forum.

Ironmonger

Cadet
Crazy part about getting this boat is I rescued it from being scrapped and crushed in a wrecking yard, I literally pulled it out of there just days before it was going to be killed.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
It's definitely pre-1974, as you have the older style logo emblem. Does it have a HIN on the stern?

It's all the same parts/dimensions as all the other Starchief/Chieftain 18's.

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to the iboats Starmada!

Lets see, your Chief looks familiar to me. :lol:

So what are you trying to identify? The year? You most likely won't find a HIN on the boat because the boat looks to be pre 1972 CG required.

Looks like a merc 120 with the MR drive that's seen better days. I noticed that the mahogany for the bow cover supports looks intact, thats great if it is. I'm thinking she needs maybe more than a repair job, by the looks of it, a total rebuild is in order. It's obvious that someone put a bunch of carpet in the boat did they also replace the decking, side panels and transom?

Looks like a great project Chief from here! A trailer upgrade may be in a good idea.

P8200351_zpsryivxbii.jpg~original

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
I'm thinking she needs maybe more than a repair job, by the looks of it, a total rebuild is in order.

+1 on that.

Ground up restoration needed to end up with a safe, reliable, awesome boat.

Free boats are like free cats or dogs. They are never free or cheap, but they are great.

dozerII

Admiral
Welcome to the Starmada. Great looking chief you found and glad you were able to save it from the shredder. I agree with the other guys I think your looking a complete rebuild on this one.

Ironmonger

Cadet
:welcome: to the iboats Starmada!

Lets see, your Chief looks familiar to me. :lol:

So what are you trying to identify? The year? You most likely won't find a HIN on the boat because the boat looks to be pre 1972 CG required.

Looks like a merc 120 with the MR drive that's seen better days. I noticed that the mahogany for the bow cover supports looks intact, thats great if it is. I'm thinking she needs maybe more than a repair job, by the looks of it, a total rebuild is in order. It's obvious that someone put a bunch of carpet in the boat did they also replace the decking, side panels and transom?

Looks like a great project Chief from here! A trailer upgrade may be in a good idea.

P8200351_zpsryivxbii.jpg~original

Yep, would really like to pin down the year, there must be some way or variances from year to year to be able to. It is a Merc 120, I can barely see it on the faded decal on the valve cover. The engine is internally immaculate, it is either a rebuild or was well taken care of. I seen a serial number plate down near the bell housing on the starboard side of the engine, will that give any useful info? The transom wood is good, no rot just some flaking paint and surface cracking. The bow supports are in excellent condition along with the cuddy cabin wood. The deck was replaced some time in its life. It isn't pretty, new wood but suffers no rot. I spent the day yesterday flushing pounds of silt out of every nook n cranny. I am pretty sure the outdrive was scabbed from while it was in the wrecking yard judging by the how clean the mating surfaces are. What years n types of outdrives cross over with this? and for that matter what exactly is the type or call out for this outdrive? I may have access to a 1978 Larsen boat with the 250 ci and outdrive. As for the side panels, do you mean the ones covered by blue vinyl down near the shins on each side?

Ironmonger

Cadet
By the way Watermann, your boat is beautiful!, quality is on par with a well done classic car resto.:D

Watermann

Thanks Iron, I appreciate you taking a look at my Chief and the kind words.

Wow that cap plate looks like new! I see your Chief has hull reg numbers on it. I take it you don't have any paperwork showing the exact year. When was the last year the boat was registered? Your State motor vehicle licensing should be able to give you a print out on the reg info that's on record for those hull numbers. I can only guess at the model year by looking at pics. Post the serials on the motor and transom assembly is any.

One good thing is that they only took the lower unit off the outdrive. If your upper is in good shape then you could replace the LU since the gearing for the motor resides in the upper. Yours is most likely a 1.94 ratio for the 4 banger. The 1978 LU off the Larson would be a direct replacement or you could swap it all over to your Chief. Of course a complete bellows and transom seal kit are in order for her.

You should test out the motor. If it were me, I would pull the spark plugs, fog the cylinders and then see if she turns over freely. If so you can remove the upper OD so you can get some water to the motor by putting a hose in the water inlet. Disconnect the fuel line from the pump so it doesn't suck any gunk in from the tanks and use a spray bottle to shoot fresh fuel into the carb while cranking her over. It's nice to know if you have a runner. :happy:

Ironmonger

Cadet
Thanks Iron, I appreciate you taking a look at my Chief and the kind words.

Wow that cap plate looks like new! I see your Chief has hull reg numbers on it. I take it you don't have any paperwork showing the exact year. When was the last year the boat was registered? Your State motor vehicle licensing should be able to give you a print out on the reg info that's on record for those hull numbers. I can only guess at the model year by looking at pics. Post the serials on the motor and transom assembly is any.

One good thing is that they only took the lower unit off the outdrive. If your upper is in good shape then you could replace the LU since the gearing for the motor resides in the upper. Yours is most likely a 1.94 ratio for the 4 banger. The 1978 LU off the Larson would be a direct replacement or you could swap it all over to your Chief. Of course a complete bellows and transom seal kit are in order for her.

You should test out the motor. If it were me, I would pull the spark plugs, fog the cylinders and then see if she turns over freely. If so you can remove the upper OD so you can get some water to the motor by putting a hose in the water inlet. Disconnect the fuel line from the pump so it doesn't suck any gunk in from the tanks and use a spray bottle to shoot fresh fuel into the carb while cranking her over. It's nice to know if you have a runner. :happy:

Found this in a hold while cleaning......It has discrepancies such as the HP rating, the serial number has a 6 in front of it for some reason, so I question that the year listed is the actual year of the boat.

Was planning on just what you suggested:) I am going out in a bit to pull all the plugs and shoot PB Blaster into the cylinders, let it sit a bit, slowly crank it then do a quick dry fire. I HATE broken rings and this method has always been fool proof. What is the OD?????? is it the outdrive?

That Larsen boat is three hours away from me and a couple hundred bucks, really far for my 454 pickup:( but lots of good parts so....we'll see.

Ironmonger

Cadet
Here's a shot of it in the wrecking yard before I put new tires on and drug it out. I give many thanks to my friend whom is one of the owners of the yard for giving me the boat, super nice guy!!!!! Kinda a rare thing these days.

Watermann

Some guys have all the luck ;)

Yeap OD = outdrive LU = lower unit
You're picking up the lingo quick and I see you have another boat too in the pics to keep the ole Chief company. We call that MBS... Multiple Boat Syndrome. :lol:

I would pull the rest of the OD off first before firing her up so the drive shaft isn't turning gears and bearings in that dry upper.

Ironmonger

Cadet
Watermann, is it possible this is a 76?, I will yank the OD, the mid section is already completely loose, is it enough to just remove that?

Watermann

If she is a 76 then there should be a HIN plate on the transom.

I was thinking she was a few years older than that, like a 71 but I guess it doesn't really matter as it would take some doing to get the state to change the year on the title.

On the OD, just remove the 6 nuts and washers then pull it out. Also looks like they scavenged the rams and lines too.

P8200344_zps4ta3eky0.jpg~original