Help me identify whether I have a 1" or 1 and 1/8" shaft

Rugglesworth

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 6, 2023
Messages
184
I have a 93 350 mercruiser ski mag with 1:1 velvet drive in 93 ski ray tournament boat. I'm getting my prop swap on Monday and just realized after I bought a new prop, it's for a 1 and 1/8" prop shaft. I thought that was standard for ski boats but then realized that they used 1" shafts back then as well. So I measured the circumference and it came to 3 and 1/4 " approximately. From my calculations that means it's a 1" shaft and I need to run to the prop shop before it closes today and get a different prop. Can anyone here confirm the prop shaft size from my measurements?

Thanks in advance. we leave next week to the cabin for 3 weeks out of town so this needs to happen today.
 

airshot

Admiral
Joined
Jul 22, 2008
Messages
6,748
Depends being on how accurate your measuring is....3 1/4" equals a 1.034 dia. Shaft........you need a 3.125 circumference to get closer to a 1" dia.....
 

nola mike

Admiral
Joined
Apr 22, 2009
Messages
6,083
Depends being on how accurate your measuring is....3 1/4" equals a 1.034 dia. Shaft........you need a 3.125 circumference to get closer to a 1" dia.....
And if my high school geometry is correct, closer still to 3.1416 😀
 

04fxdwgi25

Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Mar 25, 2022
Messages
607
Instead of guessing, get a cheap vernier caliper. Available anywhere, such as True Value for under $20.
1750583632016.jpeg
 

Rugglesworth

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 6, 2023
Messages
184
thanks y'all. I was right it is a 1" shaft. When I went to the marine shop yesterday asked for a 1" shaft and measured it and it was the same as mine. Glad I figured this out as I had to swap the new prop I just bought for the correct one. The swap is happening first thing tomorrow morning and then we head out to the cabin for 3 weeks shortly after.
 

Rugglesworth

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 6, 2023
Messages
184
Open tool box

Grab 1" wrench..... Does it fit over shaft?
Would have loved to do that but the prop is stuck on and therefore I couldn't get a wrench over it... For the future I'll get some calipers but my crude method worked
 
Top