Help me get information on this boat!!

U.S.S. Too Tall

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok here we go. I saw this boat at the gas station/ repair shop today. The shop owner didnt know to much about it. He started asking me questions about it!:facepalm: So, I turn to all of you!

Im not sure which forum to put this in so it goes here. If you guys want, move it.

Photo0385.jpgPhoto0380.jpgPhoto0381.jpgPhoto0382.jpgPhoto0384.jpg

What I know, its a wooden boat, I was told 1957, with a 75 HP Evinrude. I walked off 16 steps, so its about 17 feet long(size 13`s;)). This is what I know. The guy asked me to put a good price on it. I didnt have a clue. I didnt even ask if the motor worked on it. Sorry, I know that I should have, shoulda been the first thing outta my mouth. Its right around the corner from me, so I can go back anytime I want to.

What do you guys think about this boat? Any thoughts on if it is a desired boat to some, collector item, ...etc

Thanks for your help!!

U.S.S. Too Tall

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Help me get information on this boat!!

One other Picture of the engine and some of the transom.

Photo0383.jpg

Thanks guys!

kfa4303

Banned

Well, condition is everything. I would assume the worst and hope for the best. An all wood boat can pose unique challenges (i.e. cost a lot of money), that you might be able to avoid by getting a similar boat made out of aluminum of fiberglass. The motor is also one of the infamous "Selectric Shift" models, which are notorious for having problems. Does it have a clear title? If not you could spend hundreds of dollars just getting that squared away, depending on where you live. All of that together makes me think you may be better served to walk away from this particular boat altogether. If you check c-list regularly, you'll find virtually identical boats and trailers from known manufacturers (starcraft, duracraft, glasspar, etc...) made out of the more durable and easy to repair/maintain materials mentioned above along with a more reliable, and often running engine for under $500. Lots of folks here, myself included, love the vintage OMC motors for their reliability, low cost of operation and ease of maintenance. You can't go wrong with a good Johnson/Evinrude/Gale outboard made from the mid 50s-mid 70s, except of course for the one you're looking at :/ We all know that BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand under the best of circumstances, so beware. Caveat Emptor!!!

U.S.S. Too Tall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I know nothing about the title either. It looks like I did a poor job looking at this boat. But I thought I could ask around here, and see what you guys think about it.

I see that you like the OMC motors, but what about the outdrive? Thats what I have, and I have yet to hear someone say that they like OMC!!! Which is good, cause Im not getting rid of mine because of what is attached to the back end.

Any other thoughts on this here boat?? Still would like to get some info on in, even fiberglassics would like more info about them. Can anyone tell me the model of this boat, or anything else??? Anything would be great!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I see that you like the OMC motors, but what about the outdrive? Thats what I have, and I have yet to hear someone say that they like OMC!!! Which is good, cause Im not getting rid of mine because of what is attached to the back end.

OMC went out of business over a decade ago. Bombardier bought out their outboard division and has been doing a great job supporting their older motors with parts. The stern drive division was left for dead though which is why many people avoid OMC stern drives.

kfa4303

Banned

Agreed. The OMC Selectric Shift and stern drive systems should be avoided, but OMC outboards are great, and well loved by many folks here. Particularly the late 50's models which look great, run strong, have tons of available parts and are dead simple to work on. But models from the 60s-mid 70s are great too, albeit not as cool lookin'.