HELP! Looking for a 20' Bowrider under $30K

DMyers04

Recruit
Hey everyone. I am in need of some help. I am looking to buy a new (or slightly used) 20' (or smaller) Bowrider. Have been looking at Sea Ray, Four Winns and Regal. I would like to be able to tow someone on ski's or a wakeboard with 4 people in the boat so was thinking a 4.3 engine with 200HP+ would work.

Any recommendations on brands?

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: HELP! Looking for a 20' Bowrider under $30K

I bought a 21' tahoe q7i with v8 for 24k it only had 70 hours on it.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

With that budget we should know a little bit about you, as in your experience boating, and where you plan on boating, the size of lakes you will be on or is the ocean a possibility, your location would be very helpful.

Most will tell you that if this is to be your first boat and your a lake boater then cutting your budget by 1/3 to 1/2 and purchasing a nice, well maintained used boat would be best, you can do well under $15,000 for a nice used boat and save your money for the twofootitis that will come in a couple years after you have learned to boat.

The ocean brings its own set of issues, but I don't boat on the ocean so I will let those that do speak to that.

Understand that when considering used boats, the care and maintenance the boat has had during its lifetime is much more important then the make.

DMyers04

Recruit

I live in Massachusetts and boat mostly on smaller lakes.
Every once and a while I would like to put it on Lake Winnie in NH, but not a must.

He sea ray 185 has been catching my eye, so has the Glastron same size.. I don't know much about Tahoe..

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

SeaRay and Glastron are both great boats, so long as the boat has been cared for. It sounds like you have boated before, so I have no issues giving you my list of the best for me, mind you this is by no means anything other then the type of bowriders I like best, sporty lines multiple power and outdrive options and high end quality.

Cobalt
Chaparral
Crownline*
Glastron
Monterrey

I'm sure I am forgetting a few, and I own a Crownline so I am biased, you can go with a new boat but you are likely to get more for your money by going gently used, only you know what is best for you, my Crownline is within your budget and was a $50,000 boat when new but your looking a fair bit smaller then I was, but it does speak to the value of going gently used/meticulously cared for.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Take a look at the Starcrafts. Good price, aluminum-easy maintenance, good layout, and less weight so you can tow with a smaller vehicle. One thing about aluminum vs fiberglas. If you hit something like a dock or scrape the side on barnacles on a piling, you have to repair it with fiberglas. On an aluminum boat, the ding just adds a little character to the boat. Starcraft tends to underpower their boats, so make sure you get a large enough motor.